1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I would like to have the x54R conversion for an '08. Maybe one for the Vickers too.

Any help...?? heckinohioATgmail.com

PJH

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
The Vickers is easy.
Allistair has the extractors for $60
The feed block and barrel lots of us can help you with.
The barrels can be a reamed .303 or Finnish/Russian Maxims turned down.

The 08 I’ve never done, but lots of people here have. I’m sure they will chime in.

I can do it for you PJ I’m just really busy at the moment.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Alistair Ballentyne of Colvase Guns. He had lots of Vickers stuff. I don't have contact info but someone will.

The 08 is a pretty simple conversion if you have the guts from a 1910 kit. The only thing you need to do to the actual 08 is open up the ejection tube so the rims of the 54R can fit through. Then you take the internals of the 1910 along with a barrel that has the muzzle turned down to fit through the 08 muzzle gland. Use a 1910 lock and feedblock. You can make some small spacers out of steel the thickness of the sideplates to make up for the difference in length of the 1910 feedblock because the feedblock needs to go all the way forward in the 08 sideplate cutouts. I made my barrels fit the standard 08 booster. She chugged away with no troubles.

Frank

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Who is Allistair ?
Seriously Allan? He is next to Dolf at the creek and has been for years he has ALL the Vickers parts and you have spoken to him numerous times over the years. You are getting old my friend :ROFLMAO: Out of all the things I have lost over the years my mind is the one I miss the most.

Reactions: Rory

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
LOL yes I have the CRS moments all the time. I could not find him on the web but Colvase Guns sounded familiar. I found his business card from years ago and emailed him. I got 3 vickers kits coming but they are missing some small parts so he sounded like a good source of parts. Its getting harder to keep track of all the gun folks I meet let alone all the parts I have. Was thinking of converting a vickers to 54R since ammo is cheaper

·
Registered
174 Posts
For the MG08...the most direct path to conversion is to pick up the following 1910 parts:
Barrel - re-profiled
Lock
Recoil Plates
Feed Block - alteration required

A less direct path would be to use all the above but substitute German recoil plates...altered by replacing the female lock spigot with a Russian or Vickers male spigot -and- re-cutting the feed arm engagement

Least direct path would be the above and substitute a steel Vickers feed block for the Russian feed block. Not sure of the all the alteration(s) of the Vickers feed block required to fit the MG08...I know that one or two guys have done so.

As you can probably surmise...Russian recoil plates and feed blocks are extremely hard to find outside of a complete parts kit. Bob Naess is the go-to guy for the conversion. Ammo availability / cost advantage of 54r has diminished over the years, but the huge advantage of cheap reliable steel belts and belt loaders remains.

HTH

·
Registered
64 Posts
Last option as I understand it is the pick up a Chinese type 24 set. Russian Lock, Chinese block, and chinese barrel. Recoil plates can by Chinese or put male spud on German plates per previous comments.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Last option as I understand it is the pick up a Chinese type 24 set. Russian Lock, Chinese block, and chinese barrel. Recoil plates can by Chinese or put male spud on German plates per previous comments.
Everyone pretty much has you covered. With everyone loving the Russian recoil plates, I have conversions for all my guns using German recoil plates. Its much cheaper as German plates are a dime a dozen compared to Russian.

On the Chinese feedblock, they are not cut for metal belts... so I don't usually suggest them. Getting a half shot PKM belt out of them is a PITA. They don't have the thumb release if they will even feed the melt belts. No one uses those Russian Cloth belt loaders even if they have one. Half the joy of this conversion is the PKM belt loader which is the best thing the Russian ever made! Better than Vodka and the AK47. It is a very nice conversion to made. Its a shame 54r is not cheap like it use to be.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I dug out Russian parts today. Have several. I will lose Thursday and Friday to rain, will dink with this stuff then.

PJH

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I just finished up reprofiling a 1910 barrel to use in an 08. The nice thing about making the 1910 barrel fit the 08 is that you don't need to thread the end like the 08/15.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I just finished up reprofiling a 1910 barrel to use in an 08. The nice thing about making the 1910 barrel fit the 08 is that you don't need to thread the end like the 08/15.
I had a 1910 barrel that they turned down to the same diameter as the 08/15 sleeve so they did not have to thread it either. So long as you are not using a BFA, you should be good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts