1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
The 1917A1 could have had a variety of back plates, so it will help to narrow down what you need. The late style were the short, cast ArmaSteel type. But they might also have had a leftover WWI back plate with wood or Bakelite panels, or the aluminum one-piece grip. All are based on the same style grip frame, until the cast plate was adopted.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 1917A1 could have had a variety of back plates, so it will help to narrow down what you need. The late style were the short, cast ArmaSteel type. But they might also have had a leftover WWI back plate with wood or Bakelite panels, or the aluminum one-piece grip. All are based on the same style grip frame, until the cast plate was adopted.
Not real picky, but I would prefer non cast if I can. I saw numrich has some but the pictures makes them seem real beat up. Has anybody bought any of those?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And there you go! This style of back plate was made by BA, BCI, and RIA, as well as SG, though the latter was more commonly with the aluminum grip. They are correct for a 1917A1 as well as for any 1919A4.
Sounds good to me. It appears that the grips are plastic\ bakelight? What period were these produced?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Sounds good to me. It appears that the grips are plastic\ bakelight? What period were these produced?
Without double checking the exact dates, I believe the Bakelite panels started coming into development- along with aluminum panels for comparison- in the late 30s. These would have been in production all the way from 1941 through WWII at all mfgs except SG, who had pioneered the ArmaSteel castings and made those exclusively once approved by Ordnance. Prior to new guns being produced in 1941, anything like this was just development product. There is no full production of anything really until the four new producers were on line some months before Pearl Harbor. In the mid to late 30s, there were specific parts made for conversion of WWI vintage guns to the newly developed 1919A4 specs, but numbers were very small before new production was being planned, and that doesn't kick in until some point in 1941. Dolf Goldsmith's Vol I has more specific dates, I think, but I don't have my copy at hand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts