1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
The amount of mk1's out there, I'm shocked no one makes a clone Pedersen device that fires a similar but avaliable round that would work. I know some company attempted to many years ago but don't think any were sold?

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
I had a MK1 with the cut out for the device, but that is as close to the real thing as I was ever going to get. IIRC I sold it to someone here on this forum a few years ago....

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The amount of mk1's out there, I'm shocked no one makes a clone Pedersen device that fires a similar but avaliable round that would work. I know some company attempted to many years ago but don't think any were sold?
The tough nut to crack would, in my opinion, be achieving any kind of accuracy with a light weight round nose .308" diameter projectile. As an example, rifling twist for a .30 carbine is around one in twenty while the twist for a .30-06 is twice that rate. The mechanics of a clone device would be relatively simple, but likely hand produced and thus very expensive because of the small market. Coming up with fire control parts that could be easily switched out by the shooter or installed once and used both for the device and for standard bolt action function would require a lot of thought, too.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
I recently saw a video on YouTube IIRC, with Jerry Miculek (?) and a curator looking over one of the Pederson devices and discussing it. As I recall they mentioned accuracy would have been rather poor, but it was meant for close range shooting, while on the move, so............

did a search, and.......walla!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLzdGPzHL8U

·
Registered
518 Posts
I remember a guy who used to have one for sale on his table at the gun show when I was a kid back in the 60's. My father explained to me what it was. If I remember it was over a $1000.00 at the time which was a hell of a lot of money then. It was the only one I have ever seen in person. My brother has my fathers 1903 Mark 1 Springfield, my dad had the rifle but could not afford the Pedersen device.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
not a Pedersen but I remember going to a collectors gun show in about 1986 in a tiny town in a retirement area of south florida and there was a guy there with 3 liberators, all in box for $400 each and one without for $300. I bought a gyrojet and 10 rds for $500 somewhere in the same time period, fired the rockets, never recovered one and sold the pistol a few months later at a larger show

·
Registered
116 Posts
not a Pedersen but I remember going to a collectors gun show in about 1986 in a tiny town in a retirement area of south florida and there was a guy there with 3 liberators, all in box for $400 each and one without for $300. I bought a gyrojet and 10 rds for $500 somewhere in the same time period, fired the rockets, never recovered one and sold the pistol a few months later at a larger show
Those were the days to buy that good stuff. Cool stuff was being imported and stuff was relatively cheap.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I have the rifle, had it for 25 yrs. Couldn't afford the device then and still can't. Oh well!

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I know someone who owns and shoots one.... one of these days I hope to get out with him and try it.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts