1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about my Auto Ordnance 1911A1. It has the fixed sights. I am shooting about 8 inches to the left. I used my friends M&P .45 and thought it might be my ammo, just to rule it out, my group of 10 was in a 4 inch group right one. Question is can I use a punch and slide the rear sight over as they are non adjustable but looks like it can be pushed side to side. The gun functions 100% over 800 rounds and shoot FMJ,HP. Thanks, Jerod

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Even if it doesn't slide, it might bend. How 'bout the front sight? But it still might be the ammo -- try some other ammo first.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
The rear sight will move if tapped with a hammer and brass or aluminum punch. Set up the slide in a vise padded with belt leather and tap toward the fixed jaw. The front sight is on a stud staked into the slide and cannot be moved.

If you are going with mil-spec, the weapon should be sighted in at 50 yards. Elevation is controlled by front sight height. A neat trick for filing down the front sight is to epoxy a bit of 1/8" thick flat metal to a sharp mill file at least 8" long. Rest the metal flat on the rear sight while filing the front. This will give you a front sight that is square with the top of the rear sight and the top of the front sight is slightly tapered forward for a clearer sight picture.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts