1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isn’t it nice to have the correct tool for the job?
ISNT IT???
I finally have a proper 8mm Lebel chamber reamer. I’ve had this barrel sitting around with bits of weld in the chamber. I couldn’t even get a cartridge half way in. It took some cutting oil and about 15 min.
Wood Rectangle Font Material property Parallel
Handwriting Office supplies Wood Writing implement Writing instrument accessory
Wood Loom Engineering Tool Spinning
Automotive tire Tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle fork Bicycle part
Automotive tire Household hardware Gas Auto part Cylinder
Wood Automotive tire Trigger Machine gun Gas
Now it’s ready for testing in the morning.

·
Premium Member
7,175 Posts
The right tools certainly help Mike, nice job on the barrel. One more piece of history was saved thanks to you.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I like watching the guys at KCR buy these massive barrels because they are cool. Two hours later they look like they’re ready to collapse.

Great job Mike! What stops one from pushing the reamer too deep?

·
Registered
166 Posts
[QUOTE="Abominog, post: 716279, member:
[/QUOTE]

I'm no expert, but look at pic of reamer next to round. Appears to be a step that represents rim of round. I thought the same when I saw reemer partial in. Had to look again.

Great job Mike! Can learn a lot from your posts. Thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like watching the guys at KCR buy these massive barrels because they are cool. Two hours later they look like they’re ready to collapse.

This reamer has a shoulder where the rim would be, so you stop there. On a rimless reamer, nothing stops you from going too deep. You can screw it up really fast.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
This reamer has a shoulder where the rim would be, so you stop there. On a rimless reamer, nothing stops you from going too deep. You can screw it up really fast.
When you chamber ream something like a M1 garand I use a pull threw finish reamer, When the bolt with light finger pressure finally closes all the way you stop reaming and your headspace should be correct. BUT if you do NOT have a pull threw reamer let say for a M1 carbine and have to use a standard chamber reamer do you just go a couple turns and recheck the headspace often ? Also what type of T-handle do you use on a standard reamer when the inside of the receiver is small like said for a M1 carbine ?

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you chamber ream something like a M1 garand I use a pull threw finish reamer, When the bolt with light finger pressure finally closes all the way you stop reaming and your headspace should be correct. BUT if you do NOT have a pull threw reamer let say for a M1 carbine and have to use a standard chamber reamer do you just go a couple turns and recheck the headspace often ? Also what type of T-handle do you use on a standard reamer when the inside of the receiver is small like said for a M1 carbine ?
Yes, recheck and recheck and recheck a little at a time.
I’ve never done an an M1 Carbine, but I would assume the barrel would be removed first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts