·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What to do.......
The elevation mechanism is brass
The bending knees are brass
The leveling foot adjustment is brass
My gut says polish all the brass and hot blue all the steel.
My brain says Laser match the original blue/grey paint and make it look correct.
Well my friends and peers,
What say you?
Originally or shiney shiney?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Well, as neat as the "polished" look is, the Polished look seems more like the Pimp-o-rama version of pretty much anything. I like brass, but I think you will be happier in the end with a color matched paint job. Maybe a dull bare brass look on selected parts, but it will look better painted. UNLESS - you are going full on buff and shiny blue on the whole gun, then you might as well go full on pimp-o-rifffic.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I am going to say a subdued original look. Blast the brass and let it naturally tarnish again

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I think I would just paint this one... Can't say for sure why. You could always paint it and leave the brass out...

Here is my only one that I will ever do... it was way to much work. I have since added a brass back plate and belt loader. Now I have to do them too.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I say brass cleaned but not polished and original color paint on all the steel parts.

Of course blue all the friction parts like the elevation screw.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
From one who started a tripod project today and THEN realized how much work it’s going to be, I say rattlecan the whole damned thing and call it a day.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
From one who started a tripod project today and THEN realized how much work it’s going to be, I say rattlecan the whole damned thing and call it a day.
HAHA! That's usually my solution. The path of least resistance. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
Having done a few tripods/mounts I can say first hand they can be as much work as building the gun but certainly worth the effort in the end. What ever you decide I am sure you will be happy with the end result Mike.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I agree with Mr. Maim, clean brass parts if unpainted originally, paint factory color, re-blue unpainted parts.

·
Registered
6,864 Posts
Well....since I have an original 1914 Hotchkiss...I'd make the tripod as original as possible,as issued, for the historical aspect and for a display. This is what I intend to do...if I ever get the chance to get the Omnibus or Cleveland tripod for the gun. My intent is for a display with my 1917 Machine gun carts,as the 1914 Hotchkiss was the primary gun used by the U.S. Army machine gun units in WW1,until Sep 1918. Pershing would not allow the use of the 1917 Browning,as he was concerned that a 1917 gun would be captured and be produced by the Germans.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mike - its a great tripod to restore. I restored mine 2 years agao. Everything was frozen on it but luckly was storeed away inside some where. Toughest job was removing the U-shaped yoke and the inner rear leg. Attached are a few picks from the retorations. I notice that the top of the elevation screw on your tripod was cut off and a round socket brazed on. The Omnibus wa originally used with the M1907 St. Etienne machine gun. They adapted the Omnibus for the M1914 Hotchkiss which required a small metal adapter fitted to the bottom of the Hotchkiss receiver and mated with the "claw" design of the elevation screw (see attached pic). I hand made the adapter working with an illustration of it from a M1914 Hotchkiss annual. I never have seen an original adapter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
Nicely done WWImg and you have a great display room to boot.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here's pic of my tripod after my friend, a retired machinist, and I disassembled the Omnibus. An inner shaft keeps the rear leg extension from falling out of the sleeve when fully extended.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Photos are of the first, of two Omnibus tripods I acquired. This one, the seat pan was gone, elevation gear was rusted and frozen, was left outside and sections were pitted. Second one I acquired was complete, no pitting, just frozen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts