1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Congrats Mike - you did a great job dismantling and removing all the old finish. You have an early version of the Omnibus that has bronze joints where the front legs bend. Also the "cleats" at the joints are vertical. These didn't dig well in keeping the tripod from moving, so they changes them to horizontal position (see pics of my tripod). The revised joints on mine are a non-bronze metal casting.

Paint - From what I can determine from research and examples, the French first painted the tripods a horizon blue going with much of the color used in their equipment and uniforms during WWI. I have also seen ones painted a grey finish. In the 1930s, the French went to an olive drab like color for their equipment. Attached are 2 pics of an Omnibus Tripod at the New York National Guard Museum ins Saratoga Springs, NY. The MG is a M1907 St Etienne. I have posted these as the tripod appears to be as is, was not restored. You can see in the close up of the seat that it was painted horizon blue while the rest of the tripod appears to have had a grey finish added later and is very worn. In the third pis you can see traces of the hozizon blue paint hear the brass traverse plate and along the side of the yoke.
IMG_2457.JPG IMG_2458.JPG IMG_2460 (2).JPG

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Beautiful job on that tripod Mike.

It just LOOKS heavy! I can feel the weight through my screen! :ROFLMAO:

It looks damn cool like that.

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
I am sure it will look great what how ever you decide to finish it Mike, you have made great progress already.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts