1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
"man of the cloth" Loader
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made this for a friend and am trying to come up with a fair price to charge. I've got more hours in it than I can possibly charge for. It's walnut and curly maple. Anyone here do custom woodwork? The hardware is NOS I got off E-Bay and was covered in surface rust. I went with brass screws and pins to match the 17. Thanks in advance.
IMG-1026.jpg
IMG-1026.jpg IMG-1027.jpg

·
Registered
862 Posts
It's gorgeous!! But yeah... it would be hard to beat the new made ones on Gunbroker for $39.95... But awesome job!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Really nice display piece a true labor of love. Not economical feasible to produce items like this for general sale, it is one of those things you do because you enjoy it and the receiver is a personal friend. The value is what the market would bear. Just my opinion of course and it has to be someone who wants a beautiful display only piece. I know many people on this site who do custom work, the challenge has always been making money at it. Most often the amount of time required for custom work can not be adequately compensated.

·
Registered
501 Posts
That by all means is a presentation piece, and not some cheap knock off. I wouldn't be ashamed to charge $100 or so for it , and maybe as high as $200. Show me where you could find another that nice....they can't be had. Still probably less than what you have in it, but it is for a friend. I'd drop $100 on it in a heart beat for a display box with my 17A1. Only thing I would have done different is put a leather handle on it just because it is such a piece of art.

Steve

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I'd charge $200. Oddly enough, if you put too reasonable price on something people don't want it, but by bumping the price it becomes more exclusive and more desirable.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
Well, I am just glad to see an old friend posting! Hope you are doing well, BAinMO. It's been a while. I agree with the last couple of posts. For that work of art, $200 is perfectly fair, and probably not half the value of the time you have in it. Maybe if it's a really good friend you settle for somewhere between $100 and $200, but I would seek the higher number to start. Simply beautiful.

·
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone and thank you Lucky! Sorry I didn't get back with ya on my backpack post, but by the time I finely got around to checking in it was past due and I just didn't feel right reviving an old question post. I still have the thing and still not sure what to do with it. I'm lucky enough to have a good high quality wood seller near by that doesn't mind at all you going through his big stacks of wood looking for the really nice ones. I'll buy the whole piece just for the good 3-4'.
Also Chris..............I'm going with Aqua! LOL

·
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the other part of the package and LED edge lit of his 17 with the same markings as WO the serial # of course. It's about 11"X11" plexiglass and quarter sawn oak for the base. The protective film is still on it at this stage and the base unfinished. It just has the CNC work for the lights.
IMG-1001.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts