1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone and I want to appoligize in advance for a stupid questoin. I once had a 1917A1 topcover bought but had to sell it back do to a problem with the owner and his family-long story. I have built my early 1917 just about correct to the wire other than the 1919A4 topcover because I have not found another 1917 or 1917A1 at a reasonable price. My question is what is the 1917 hinge pin??? I see Numrich shows one and I can see its obviously not like the 1919A4 but I can not find a close up picture to explain it. If anyone has a close up or would like to lead me in the right direction please chime in. Thanks, Hotch

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hotch

The original 1917 set up is just a round pin with a flat spring peened on the end of it. You put the pin in place and rotated it forward where it was retained by a slot cut in the bronze trunnion.

Below is a picture of Jon's (Nosegunner) 1928 Colt, it uses the same pin as the 1917.

Thanks to Jon (Nosegunner for the pic)

This pin worked fine, but allows the sight to just hit the water jacket when you open the top cover with the sight down, and also allows the open top cover to come slamming down on your hand at any moment. That is why they came up with the setup that is on the 1917a1s and A4s that stops both of these problems.

Also, I don't know what you consider reasonable, but the $84 Gun Parts wants for their cover is not awful!

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=27060&MC=

Jim

·
Registered
795 Posts
In a hurry and cant take a picture right now, but I bought 2 from OOW for $6 each. The same ones in msg1956's picture. It was about 1 1/2 years ago so I dont know if they seperate anymore.

Craig

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you order a top cover from Gun Parts tell them you are a collector and that you want the best cover they have. They'll put that on the order and try to comply. All the top covers I've gotten from them have been mint!!

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,167 Posts
Charlie B is correct, though. You will get a hand picked one if you tell them you are a collector doing a restoration. It makes a difference.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks,

I just wanted to thank all who responded with info and the great pictures. I know what I need now, Hotch

·
Registered
104 Posts
1917A1 Top cover ??

So the 1917A1 top cover will interchange on a 1919A4 receiver ?
Does the belt feed pawl and all other parts swap over as well ?

I'm wanting to recreate the earlier model look using one of Lou's
conversions. What else is needed besides a rear sight ?

Thanks

Roger

·
Registered
169 Posts
Roger

In truth, the A4 top cover is nothing more than a 17/17A1 with the sight base removed. So the 17A1 top cover will drop right on an A4. All the feed cover parts are interchangable too. Just remember, if the parts are Izzy 308, you need to relieve the 17 topcover so the little double feed finger on the feed pawl will clear.

You will have to knock off the A4 rear sight base and fill the 3 holes to make the LSP look like a 17A1. Other than a 17 style backplate, you are just about done one you use the feed cover, water jacket assembly and barrel.

Jim

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,167 Posts
Don't forget the 1917A1 style top cover latch. :D

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, unless I am mystaken the 1917-1917A1 top covers were steel instead of armawhateverwascheap castings that give that weird color if you blue. I think I found a site base but no cover and I want something that blues nice so I may still have to shell out. Hotchkiss

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, I forgot to ask, I called Ohio Ordnance all day long and nobody answered. is that unusual for them? Hotch

·
Registered
104 Posts
OK, so what about a rear sight ?

Thanks for the info guys. I'm using a USGI 30.06 kit from weaponeer so there
won't be any Izzy interchangability issues. Just placed an order with GPC for the cover and latch assy. So is someone going to reproduce the rear sight
assy or what can a fellow do for that piece ?

Roger from Iowa

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Roger, one of this forums members are working on it right now! If you do a search of past posts you can read all about it. I been through all this and its much cheaper to buy it from someone who is making a bunch than to build one. HOtch

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,167 Posts
Roger, I am going to have high quality, faithful 1917A1 rear sights available around the end of September, by KCR in October at the latest. When you have the top cover with the fixed base, I will provide everything else.

Hotch- The 1919 top covers from Saginaw, which are the most common, are cast. I believe all others are milled from real steel. That includes any 1917 and 1917A1 covers, which are identical.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank You for that bit of info, I will order a BA one then. Looking at some of the bent up top covers around here I have to wonder if that cast stuff was the same thing Harbor Freight uses in its tools today:D HOtch

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hotch

Actually, the A4 style latch will work fine on a 17A1. They changed it because the 17 latch will not go under the A4 sight base. That being said, I like the look of the 17 style latch much better anyway!

So you have the base that gets riveted to the 17 top cover? Good find!

Jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts