1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried to replace a leather belt on a 1917 tri pod. I got one of the hand picked ones from OOW, and was pleased with it, except the leather belt that goes around the legs was broke. It looks like you would have to take the medallion off to replace the belt with a new one. There is a tab on the back side of the medallion like a belt buckle, so you can't slide in a new belt. Also I thought the medallion would be brass, but it's a grey colored metal with brass rivets. dated 1942.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have one of teh hand picked ones as well and was lucky that my leather strap is in great shape. My little plate is brass also dated 1942. It sure looks like you need to take the plate off to replace the strap tho. Is there any chemical that will clean or get the grease out of teh leather strap? I have a MG42 leather sling that I want to restore.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Gunranger

You got it. There is a tit on the back of the ID plate that goes thru a hole in the leather strap. To replace the leather strap you have to drill out the rivets on the plate, take it off, put the new strap in, and rivet back on together.

Every 17a1 tripod I have seen in person has either had a brass plate, or a stamped flat steel one. However, I have seen pictures of the grey metal plate you have. Are you sure it is not coated brass? It may be a replacement pot metal used to conserve brass.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I have one brass medallion that holds the leather strap and the other one is about 1-2 inches above the brass one that is flush on the leg. I am currently trying to remove the paint off the brass medallion. I should probaby let it soak with paint stripper for a few hours because 20 minutes sure didn't work.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
strap

I doubt I'll ever find any rivets like that, so I'll have to live without the strap.I wonder what would make a good transport box, without having to build one?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Just a suggestion, but you could just remove the rivets and tap them for screws like the 1917 and 1928's. You would have to weld the back side holes. Might even have to weld and move the topside holes just a little.

Craig

·
Registered
169 Posts
Gunranger

Those rivets shouldn't be that hard to make, but if you don't want to get involved with that, how about just getting a couple of fine threaded machine screws that are just long enough to pass thru the leg and catch a nut? A slight peen will keep them in place and you really can't see them.

Or, if that is too unattactive for you, how about getting a piece of pipe with the same ID as the OD of the leg. Cut out an oval that matches the brass ID plate (for no other reason than simmetry), drill and tap two holes to match the above screws in the plate. That may blend in well.

Lastly, you may be able to drive out the rivets from the underleg side. Start with a center punch to collapse the edges of the rivet head, than use a straight punch to drive them out. You may be able to salvage the rivets. But watch out what ever method you use, the legs are made of thin pipe and will dent if abused!

Kamikazi54

So you are saying that your tripod had two mounting points for the leather strap? One is brass and one is sheet metal? The sheet metal ones are spot welded to the leg, and have the tripod data stamped on them. They retain the strap with two stamped wings that stick out either side. You thread the strap thru and bend down the tabs to stick into the strap (this style had two holes in the strap vs one for the brass medalion). I wonder if your tripod was made with the steel plate, and the brass one was added afterwards? Or maybe they switched over to the new style leg, but were using up stocks of brass tags? Do you have any pics?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well.....

When I was building Mortars for fun I found out from an old saddle maker that was custom making new leather straps... that Saddle Soap worked great in cleaning and restoreing old leather....

But eh... you guys seem to be on the right track.... but try a local tack shop to replace those leather belts

Destiny

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
msg1956

msg1956

I will try to get some pics later. There is one oval brass medallion rivited on that hold the leather strap .....That medallion says "No. 156081" mount, tripod 1917A1, Mc E. Co. 1942 and initials REH. There is a second oval plate (unknown OD painted metal) that is flush and screwed in that says "REMFG. Lamson Corp. 1945" and with the crossed cannon symbol. My strap is in exellent shape. I was very fortunate.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
plate

If I knew where I could get the right rivets I would drill them out in a heart beat. I know I can get a belt made, and make it look old.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, I believe amish-bob had some new made leather straps for these pods. Perhaps he still does.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Lucky

Thanks for the plug. I don't have any on hand right now but I can get some made in a few weeks time. I sell them for $20.00 shipped. The only difference between an original and mine is the solid brass buckle vs. the parkerized buckle on my original. The buckle is the same size and shape, though.

I can also have them made for the Vickers tripod, if anyone needs that one.

Email me if you're interested

amish-bob

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Hey Amish Bob, did the early 1917s have the brass buckle? HOtch

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
hotchkissmtrifle

I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to your question.

I can say that the Colt and Argentine 1935 tripod had a steel buckle for the most part. Although, I did run across a very few brass buckles ..... maybe 5% at best. I always sort of assumed that they were most likely replacements.

amish-bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts