1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you ever removed the 1917a1 sight base from the top plate?
I see that the front has two rivets and the back of the base might be silver soldered. Any advise on this?
Weasel

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Weasel,
Do not attempt this. Just send me your assembly and I will trade you a brand spanking new 1917A1 Topcover....save you all that trouble...heh heh heh.
TiredIron

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just got a 1917a1 top cover and looks great except the metal wedge that was riveted in on teh underside was removed...now do they do that to de-mil them or what? How do I go about riveting in anew one? Looks like the sight base will have to be removed to rivit the wedge in then riviet the sight base back on. Guess I would have been better off to buy just the sight base and rivet it on a 1919a4 top cover.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine to has the extractor ramp removed. I think that it would be better to attach the sight base to the a4 top cover. Remember that the 17 top cover will need to be milled to accept the belt shuttle arm. That would be a easy job. Then buy a ramp, hopeing that everything will work in the 1919.
Now, who has ever removed the base off the 1917a1 top cover????? Please advise if any of you know the way it is removed. Thanks
Weasel

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
weasel- I have looked at my two 1917 covers. One is a WWI Remington and the other appears to be WWII RIA. On both it appears that the fixed sight base is simply riveted on, two rivets on each end. I see no sign of silver solder.

I also have a short sight base that I have no idea what it is off of. It has different graduations on the windage scale, and is about half the height of the 1917 base. It too has holes for two rivets at one end and one at the other. It has H.S. stamped on it which may be High Standard. Wondering if it could fit a .50 cal? I believe it was the water cooled .50s that used a sight similar to the 1917/A1s. Don't know if High Standard made any that fit this description.

Anyway, I am confused about what machining you are referring to. Are you trying to fit an .308, Israeli belt feed pawl assembly? The USGI 30-06 parts should just drop in. I can see no significant difference between USGI 1917 and 1919 covers, but the Israeli ones are cut for the dogleg pawl. :confused:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Hi Guys,

Hmmm, Seems that something may be a little amiss here. I just got two stripped top covers and they have all the parts on them except what gets bolted on. One looks to be NOS, and the other used. Both have all the stuff nessasary to be able to use them. Maybe you should contact who you got them from and see whats up. Stripped should not mean demilled....Lou

·
Registered
34 Posts
Something's not Kosher (no pun intended) with a top cover having the extractor ramp milled off. Could be an Israeli modification for .308?? On both my 17a1 top covers the US GI parts drop right in, no problem! Where did you guys get these covers? Charlie

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
Agreed, and I forgot to address that above. I can't imagine why the cover extractor cam was removed. I would definintely talk to the vendor you got these from and see if they will swap for a complete one. Sure, one could remove the sight base and rebuild it, but I do not know if any vendors have the cam itself either. If not, you have a big problem.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I talked with the vendor that I got mine from and he said that is the way he got them. So I guess I will just drill out teh rivits and put teh sight base on a regular 1919 top cover.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lucky 13,
yes I will be using .308, so the milling for the leg. On the 17 top cover the front of the sight base one can see the two rivets, on the back where the latch grabs the base I can't see any rivets. Could they be milled flat?? When I turn the top cover over I can see the front rivets and at the back I see nothing on the underside. I just looked through a 10 power eye piece and all I see is mill marks and nothing that looks like a rivet was used. Must be made in China!
Weasel

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
weasel- Unless yours is assembled different than my two, I would expect to see rivets. Do the mating surfaces of the base and cover show any signs of being filled with solder? I'd be surprised. I seem to recall that even the military rebuilding manual shows this as riveted in. It is possible that flush rivets are near impossible to see, but they are visible on both my covers. Without seeing it myself, I don't know what else to suggest.

Are there any markings on your cover? My Remington, for example has the marking underneath, in the milled out area just behind the front where the hinge pin goes through. It would be interesting to see of different mfgs used varying methods.

My other cover has no markings which is typical of RIA mfg, from what I understand.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Weasel,
MY 17 top cover is exactly like yours. There are no rivits on the rear of teh sight base. I'm thinking that just the two rivits are holding the thing on. There is a seam all the way around mine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Weasel,
I looked at a 1917 top cover I just got from GPC. It does have the ramp but no manufacture markings. The rear sight base rivets are there but real hard to see. I mean REAL hard to see!! I looked at it 10 times before I saw the first one.

Try heating the rear of the cover with a small torch and see if you can see oil run out around the rivets.

Hope this helps.
Gary

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The 1917A1 top cover with sight base new in the white #A4209 $125.00 is avalable now from Dave at SARCO 908-647-3800. Just two years ago these sold for $75.00.

Mark

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lucky 13, Machinehead, Schuft, and Mark
I checked again and I see no rear rivets. I will try the torch heat and see if the oil shows up. If I can't get the ramp I will make a replacement part and TIG to the top cover. Mark, I bought this 17 top cover from dear Dave at Sarco. I will call him to see if he has the ramp, but I think he doesn't have it. The top cover has no markings of any kind. I would hate not to be able to use the 17 top cover except as a paper weight.
Thanks to all of you who have taken time to inspect your covers and offer advise.
Remember that all this headache is due to our freind Lou, who makes a fine watercooled jacket. I think that everyone should have one, can't wait to shoot it, along with a dozen of my buddies.
Weasel

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
Yeah, let's all blame Lou! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Exactly---Lou, you dirty dog! Be a man, stand up and take full responsibility for all of this!!!!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Talked to Dave at Sarco this morning and he is sending the extractor cam for the top cover, not for nothing, would have been nice if he would advise you as to the extra parts one might need.
I will TIG it on so that I won't have to play with rivets.

Lucky 13, how is your leaf project doing? Will you be making a sight slide for the leaf? Please advise so that one might find one.
Weasel

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
weasel,

The leaf project is on track. It will include the combo slide assembly and everything but the top cover and fixed base. We are looking at about the end of Summer for availability.

Good to know, at least, that Sarco actually HAS the top cover cam, though!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts