1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the rarity of “transit” cases for 1917a1’s. I tried to search for plans but alas found little.

I have the ability to create a box, just would rather not reinvent the wheel if someone already has plans somewhere.

I’m not necessarily looking for a “period” box, just a box period.
I need to be able to haul the gun to events without it taking up so much real estate in me back seat.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I've got one that was built by someone, its in AZ. I am going there Saturday for a week and I can take some pictures and get some dimensions for you. Just remind me the first of next week. You can just post here or PM me.
Greg

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I've made copies of the original WW1 1917 MG cart gun box. All you'd have to do is put 2-handles on...either end. I'm in Valdosta,GA at Moody AFB for car repair on my way home from St. Augustine,FL. Might get home by Wed PM. Give me an [email protected]...so I can send pic's and dimintions when I get home.
Len (L999here)

·
Registered
820 Posts
I made a couple designs several years ago, one with a flip lid and one with a removable lid. I’ve been asked many times over the years if I was going to make anymore. If I can sell a dozen 1919a4 crates and a dozen 1917a1 crates I’d consider another run. I’d have to price everything out again but last time I think they were around $150 plus shipping. The removable lid usually was painted green with stenciling on it. I might not do that one again just to streamline production. If anyone interested I can post a thread.

·
Registered
865 Posts
@porteroden The one I have looks just like your pictures except it has a removable lid, I wonder if it was you that made it. I didn't get it from you I got it from a member on a different sight it is light green with stenciling and seems like it was around that $150 price. I have had it awhile.
Greg

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
My RIA '17A1 lives in one of porteroden's removeable lid case. Both my '17A1 and I are very pleased with it.

Reactions: porteroden

·
Registered
820 Posts
Greg mine would have the dovetail ends. Glad to see there are some out there. Reb I had the drawings for the chest at one time but they seem to be lost from my Yahoo! Mail. I will scour old computers for them I may need a few days. Iirc the water cooled box fit a couple guns, the 1919a4 box drawings were mostly a shipping box that fit a disassembled gun. 1920 dates

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Here are some pics of my case. I'm sorry for the poor quality, but it's sitting in a closet and with my bunged up shoulder I cannot move it. Maybe in a month, or so, I can move it out and get some better pictures.

A little history; I bought the case in unfinished condition. I went to Home Depot and looked over their cheapo customer return paints to find a pint of green color that looked OK. I think I spent three bucks on the paint. Over a weekend I brush painted the entire outside of the case. I then went to eGhey to find some tack-on corner protectors. I bought the smallest size I could find. One can never be too protective.

Reactions: porteroden

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are awesome! Thanks!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Dan, looks good! I too installed steel ball corners on mine. Slides out the truck better. Hope your shoulder mends fast, sucks getting old!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts