1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$1700 plus shipping……..I have had 5 of these and this was the nicest. Hate to see it go. I can't make pics go. Not sure what the deal is. I'll email them to Rory and he can put them up.:D:D:D

·
Registered
313 Posts
I will take it.
Dan

I will get with you Monday.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Gene it is probably the correct lower for the 1917 tripod not the later 1917a1 it was for the worm gear. I should have grabbed this myself they are tough to find.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Gene, the hump is the area on the tripod head that the WW1 1917 traverse mechanism was housed. When they decided the 1918 tripod was a real pain to set up they redesigned the 1917 tripod, made the newer 1917a1 cradle, they eliminated the tripod head traverse. One of the problems of the 1917 was a lack of fine traverse which required training the gunners in a 2 finger tap of the rear of the cradle to finely adjust the cradle. Not precise in any way. This was at a time they were developing the indirect fire techniques pioneered by McBride of the Canadian Expeditionary forces. Which was the reason the army quickly shifted to the 1918 tripod which was a failure the soldiers hated.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Here you go Gene now keep in mind this is a complete 1917 tripod and cradle but it will show the details of the worm gear that was blanked off later on. I have one of these in my shop but don't have pictures on my laptop of it but can send you some later if you wish. Russ
browning2.jpg

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Here is a close up of the 1917 socket, with the "hump" gutted as usual. While still in service, the worm gear traversing mechanism was often removed, as it was not considered useful. The provision in the socket was eliminated with production of the newly adopted 1917A1 tripod, though many of the lower sockets and legs were upgraded with the new A1 cradles, and that sounds like what is being offered for sale here. Looking forward to pictures.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Yep, that's a great example of one of the ways they plugged the cavity. Mine had a bolt with washers to seal the old feature. I've seen several examples of both. Not sure just how the one you show, Porter, was actually done. Have yet to have one like that to try to open back up.

Here's the flip side of one of that type.

·
Read Only
836 Posts
Yep, that's a great example of one of the ways they plugged the cavity. Mine had a bolt with washers to seal the old feature. I've seen several examples of both. Not sure just how the one you show, Porter, was actually done. Have yet to have one like that to try to open back up.
They appear to be just like a freeze plug. Cavity intact seen thru top of socket.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
They appear to be just like a freeze plug. Cavity intact seen thru top of socket.
That's good to know. Thanks for sharing much needed info!

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Is the top of that tripod head wavvy gravy or is that just an illusion? Have you checked the uprights forks on the sides for date stamps and are there any maker code stamps on the side plates of the cradle? Circle M for McEvoy, circle L for Lamson. Should be right by the drawing number on the plate, cannot make it out in the pic

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's not wavy its lousey pics. I was going to upload pics of the 1918 pod to show the diff, but they won't go. I guess I'm tech challenged…………..:mad:

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Can you text them and Ill post for you?

PM sent

1 - 20 of 36 Posts