1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
WOW!! Look at those sexy polished bronze end caps. Beautiful!! would I love one of those.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Sweet picture.
That is my new desktop background now.:D
CaptMax

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
So who is the chucklehead with his hands in his hip pockets? :mad:

Great pix. Looks good on my desktop, too! Thanks.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
IIRC that look is actually EDIT:NOT pose I was thinking of but when 2 are like that it makes you wonder if it was a parade dress regulation or unit thing.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The photo is actually the front of a post card.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Those people were probably part of a battalion heavy weapons company. Companies also had heavy weapons platoons. At one time the Army liked to put all their heavy machine guns in one unit and then parcel them out to infantry companies as needed. A company in the offense may not need them but a company defending would. I suppose the Army thought it was easier to train and maintain these personnel and weapons if they had them all together in one unit. Otherwise training might be hit and miss. When light machine-guns came along things changed.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
...about 1932...(?)

From several pic's I have seen,the Army went to the metal machine gun cart about 1932. However,they still used the 1917 ammo cart and put a pintle on the rear cross-member to tow the machine gun cart. This reduced the number of mules by 1/2 and the machine gun crew went to 6-7 men. Got a similar pic of a 1932 WY NG unit with the gun carts hooked to the ammo carts and ready for march.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally found the unit ID for the photo - 11th Infantry, Company M. Regiment was stationed at Ft. Benjamin Harrison from 1922-1939 and I suspect that is the location for the photo based on the time period for the uniforms.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts