1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
....always working....

My thanks and appreciation to CLP for posting my price list for the 1918 Browning Belt filling Machine parts. I usually send the list with the manual I made so that the legend and the part numbers correspond. I have sent nearly (100) of these manuals to owners of belt loaders. If someone wishes to also post the three (3) line drawings for a little more clarity on parts nomenclature and function,I give my OK. This will enable more people to identify the necessary parts for keeping these 'old war horses' running. Would also request that panecea (moderator) be good enough to 'sticky' this thread so all may use it for reference. Thank you again,CLP.....

27 Jan 2018...Want to update the Belt Loader parts list,as previous pics are not available. Prices have not changed in 10-years...!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
...just for clarity...

Apparently no one has noticed......the diagram shows the 'shuttle type' system and not the more common 'needle type' of feed. I also have the entire 'shuttle type' assembly for sale without the permenant modification that was originally made to the machine. In other words...both systems can be interchanged and used on your machine.....

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,047 Posts
Apparently no one has noticed......the diagram shows the 'shuttle type' system and not the more common 'needle type' of feed. I also have the entire 'shuttle type' assembly for sale without the permenant modification that was originally made to the machine. In other words...both systems can be interchanged and used on your machine.....
Hey Len, what is the price on the shuttle conversion parts?

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
....again...

CLP has done it again...thank you...!!! And Lucky...thought you'd never ask.... LOL. As the links to the old threads show...w/o the pics,unfortunately...,the 'shuttle type' system is $150.00 + $5 HIS. A copy of my manual for the original 'needle type' system is included as well as a copy of the FM 23-45 and the pics from BAINBMo's critque and set up of a 'shuttle type' modification. My hearty 'thank you' for all the help you guys have given and your suggestions and opinions. O...yeah....the line drawings can be numbered starting on the left side of each depiction and continueing on the right side. Just start with the top view #'s 1(pin)-#37(lever),front view #38(cam)-#50(spring) and side view #51 (guide)-#68 (handle). Hope this helps everyone to identfy their parts and inqueries about problems. Suggest that those with a 1918 belt loader...or anyone who is thinking about getting one... print this info out before it disappears or gets deleted. Having the drawings and the thread availible as a 'sticky' would also help.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just for grins can someone state the advantage/disadvantage of the shuttle vs the needle system. I have 2 needle-1918 & 1928

I "think" I know/understand the shuttle concept but have not seen one
in the Browning 1918 unit- I have seen them in Maxim/Vickers units.

Mark

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Shuttle vs. needle type belt loader...

A little history,a little conjecture. The Browning Belt loader,1st. model 1895 Colt,was designed for the 'potato digger' Colt MG. With the development of the 1917 WC,Browning up-dated the 1895 model,made more steel parts than were in the 1895 and the 1918 belt loader was introduced and continued using needles to open the pocket in cloth belts. The 1918 loader was to re-load the used cloth belts in combat. WW1 combat troops never saw 'new' cloth belts,as it would have been a waste of space and logistics to carry unloaded belts. When 1919 air-cooled guns were developed,they were also fed with cloth belts. In WW2, a mixture of new and used belts were encountered and it was difficult to load new belts. In 1942,a new system... the 'shuttle-type' was introduced that eliminated about a dozen parts and made a modification to the needle-bar lever arm. This mod destroyed the end of the lever and the 1918 loader was unable to use the needle system again. The 'shuttle' proved very reliable,was adjustable and loaded 'new' belts much better than the needle set-up. My belief is that these modified 1918 loaders were used at depot level to ready and load new belts and were seldom seen in the field. When the 1919's were given to the Isrelies,they decided to use the 'shuttle' system exclusively and modified almost all the 1918 belt loaders they were given. Most of these 1918 loaders were never seen again. I have only seen (2) original Izzy modified 1918 loaders and was able to borrow one to make the 'shuttle assembly' available for the first time since WW2. The development was helped by BainMo (Brian) who worked out the system and helped provide pics and a modification that did not destroy any parts. Both systems are therefore useable. There is no better way to load new cloth belts than a 'shuttle assembly' mod to the 1918 Browning Belt loader.

·
Registered
26 Posts
slide for 1918 belt loader

does any one have a slide for a 1918 belt loader a friend is looking for one let me ,know will check back here many thanks already found sorry for the post

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
....shameless plug...

...sounds like me typing....thinking....and having the realization I have the answer right in front of me...LOL.

·
Registered
14 Posts
WTB: SHUTTLE STSEM parts for the belt loader - anyone still have one and manual to c

Thanks. call 505-269-2056 with info or e-mail
Don't have one but know where I can get one - please let me know....all my belts have been laoded at least once so shuttle system will work great.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Len I hope you can help. I need the upper wheel arm screw letter (L) in the technical bulletin. Which is the cross reference on your parts listing for it. 31 or 33? Also need other spares.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
...#31...

The arm screw that attaches the upper wheel arm to the casting arm. Always gets confusing...that's why I made the numbering system and the nomenclature system to reflect the proper name and function. Everything is spelled out in the manual I produce...only one of its type...for the 1918 Browning Belt loader....$10.00 shipped. If you need several parts,print out the parts list/price list and verify each part you need. Don't worry...any mistakes about your order are covered. I take back any parts you do not need for consideration on other parts needed.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The arm screw that attaches the upper wheel arm to the casting arm. Always gets confusing...that's why I made the numbering system and the nomenclature system to reflect the proper name and function. Everything is spelled out in the manual I produce...only one of its type...for the 1918 Browning Belt loader....$10.00 shipped. If you need several parts,print out the parts list/price list and verify each part you need. Don't worry...any mistakes about your order are covered. I take back any parts you do not need for consideration on other parts needed.
I think that is a good idea, I'll send for a manual first.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Shuttle assy

You would'nt have a shuttle assy for sale
Thank you
Steve

A little history,a little conjecture. The Browning Belt loader,1st. model 1895 Colt,was designed for the 'potato digger' Colt MG. With the development of the 1917 WC,Browning up-dated the 1895 model,made more steel parts than were in the 1895 and the 1918 belt loader was introduced and continued using needles to open the pocket in cloth belts. The 1918 loader was to re-load the used cloth belts in combat. WW1 combat troops never saw 'new' cloth belts,as it would have been a waste of space and logistics to carry unloaded belts. When 1919 air-cooled guns were developed,they were also fed with cloth belts. In WW2, a mixture of new and used belts were encountered and it was difficult to load new belts. In 1942,a new system... the 'shuttle-type' was introduced that eliminated about a dozen parts and made a modification to the needle-bar lever arm. This mod destroyed the end of the lever and the 1918 loader was unable to use the needle system again. The 'shuttle' proved very reliable,was adjustable and loaded 'new' belts much better than the needle set-up. My belief is that these modified 1918 loaders were used at depot level to ready and load new belts and were seldom seen in the field. When the 1919's were given to the Isrelies,they decided to use the 'shuttle' system exclusively and modified almost all the 1918 belt loaders they were given. Most of these 1918 loaders were never seen again. I have only seen (2) original Izzy modified 1918 loaders and was able to borrow one to make the 'shuttle assembly' available for the first time since WW2. The development was helped by BainMo (Brian) who worked out the system and helped provide pics and a modification that did not destroy any parts. Both systems are therefore useable. There is no better way to load new cloth belts than a 'shuttle assembly' mod to the 1918 Browning Belt loader.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts