1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a WWI, 1918 dated Vickers crosshead. It has a steel elevation wheel instead of one made of bronze. Was this a WWI change, post WWI or WWII? Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I have a WWI, 1918 dated Vickers crosshead. It has a steel elevation wheel instead of one made of bronze. Was this a WWI change, post WWI or WWII? Thanks in advance for any info.
If you are referring to the Mil wheel added above the brass elevation adjustment wheel it was a post WWI change performed exclusively by the Turks on the Vickers guns they acquired from the British. They usually are numbered 1 - 7 in two rows. Pictures help.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
We need a picture. There could be many reasons for this.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Steel Elevation Wheel

My guess is that during its service life the original elevation wheel got damaged and was replaced. I would say that the new elevation wheel was a WWII vintage replacement. Once original spares were exhausted or when war time contracts were issued (brass was at a premium and replacement parts were made of steel). I have seen the elevation wheel, hub of the azimuth wheel, and complete cross heads made of steel. My opinion only, I am sure oldsoldier will respond and he is more knowledgeable about Vickers than I am.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
My guess is that during its service life the original elevation wheel got damaged and was replaced. I would say that the new elevation wheel was a WWII vintage replacement. Once original spares were exhausted or when war time contracts were issued (brass was at a premium and replacement parts were made of steel). I have seen the elevation wheel, hub of the azimuth wheel, and complete cross heads made of steel. My opinion only, I am sure oldsoldier will respond and he is more knowledgeable about Vickers than I am.
I agree with redoth. The elevating wheel was replaced and probably during/after WWII when some parts were being made from iron. See http://www.ima-usa.com/british-vickers-mmg-elevating-wheel-dial-rare.html.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I have a 1944 dated tripod with a steel or malleable iron center section. Have also observed a 1943 dated cross head of the same material.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts