1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the range the other day shooting my 1919 .308 off my AA tripod, shooting .308 paki ammo. As I was going thru my 200 round linked box, I had a case explode on me. It blew up on the underside of the gun sending shrapnel into my legs and stomach area, and going to the hospital. I had adjusted my headspace a while ago, and ran fine execpt for a broken case after about 400 rounds. What might have caused this, It did not hurt the gun as I blew out the bottom. Just sort of worried about this happening again, do not want to back to the hospital. Thanks, Jerod

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wow, Thats scary, I only saw this happen once, But once was enough. It was headspacing was way way loose!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
sorry to hear you got hurt

i had one that in 8mm that blew "UP" bending the top cover but the gun contained the boom (sort of)

loose headspace was the suspected cause too

·
Registered
864 Posts
Sorry to hear. My 2 cents if you want to avoid this happening again, is only buy quality .308 ammo. The South African .308 is plentiful right now and sells for about $160 per thousand. Is it really worth the risk of blowing up your gun and injury, to save $40 per thousand rounds?

Someone recently posted (can't remember who), that they had a similar experience where a round exploded and a piece of cartridge case came out the back of the gun and went into their leg/thigh several inches deep. The doctors decided to leave it in as I recall. I'm not sure what kind of ammo he was using but as I recall it was some of the low quality surplus (maybe Turk 8mm or Pakistani .308???---Anyone remember?)

·
Registered
154 Posts
First I'm glad that you're OK mjlynch71!

57 Strat,

I think that could have also been the guy that used a .308 booster in conjunction with an 8mm gun. Bad JuJu.

·
6,504 Posts
Man, glad you're kinda okay and hopefully no permanent injuries. It's usually headspace that's the problem. Also you could have unknowingly separated a case and a piece was still in the chamber when the next round chambered and if the headspace is loose enough it will chamber far enough for the bolt to lock up and the firing pin to drop, but that's an out of chamber ignition which will result in what you describe. I don't know how you're headspacing, but don't use a gage...use the field method #2 shown in the tutorial on the home page.

Also, you indicated that you broke a case after 400 rounds. When you headspace are you getting a definitive "click"? If not, your headspace spring is either missing or not engaging the barrel notches and your headspace adjustment is slipping.

If you haven't disassembled the gun for cleaning yet and your settings are still intact, check the headspace per the tutorial.

Glad you're okay.

The other guy was shooting 8mm Turk with a 308 booster, bad ju ju.

·
Master Window Licker
2,853 Posts
57Strat said:
Sorry to hear. My 2 cents if you want to avoid this happening again, is only buy quality .308 ammo. The South African .308 is plentiful right now and sells for about $160 per thousand. Is it really worth the risk of blowing up your gun and injury, to save $40 per thousand rounds?

Someone recently posted (can't remember who), that they had a similar experience where a round exploded and a piece of cartridge case came out the back of the gun and went into their leg/thigh several inches deep. The doctors decided to leave it in as I recall. I'm not sure what kind of ammo he was using but as I recall it was some of the low quality surplus (maybe Turk 8mm or Pakistani .308???---Anyone remember?)
I think your refering to me, i had it blow up with turk 8mm and it was on a AA tripod, blew up and shrapnel went into my leg bone, missed my privat part by about 2". The doctors had the hemostats BURIED in my leg tryin to pull it out but it was stuck in my bone, still is. I didnt want surgery so we decided to leave it. I also had the same thing happened again but it shot the shrapnel in my butt, no kiddin, in my butt. Thats a bad one too. I had the barrel restin on some fire wood out in the back porch with concrete patio, the gun was only 2 ft off the ground and i was squatted down behind it shootin and it blew up, shrapnel blew out the bottom of the gun, hit the concrete and richochetted up into my rt cheek:eek: . had blood runnin out of me but i wasnt gonna go to the hospital and explain this one:D

·
6,504 Posts
Damn son! Oh pardon me...dang son!

brass, I hate to say it, but I think 8 deserves your handle more than you do...if ever there was a brass-magnet it's him :).

·
Registered
299 Posts
Would you guys ever use 50's yogo 8mm ammo. I looks like it is dirty cheap. If this ammo tends to fail alot let me know since I have no problem spending the extra $$$$ in order to have a safe day. I read about alot of ammo problems lately, kind of makes me not even want to shoot my 1919 when its done. Thanks

576 Posts
I don't know how many times this has to be said....if you shoot surplus this WILL happen. Hell, if you shoot enough new factory ammo this will happen. We are not playing with kids toys here....a firearm has an explosion going off every time you pull the trigger. Things fail, ammunition has bad rounds and human error all come into play. Sure you can lessen the chance of a kaboom happening by only using the best stuff but the fact remains, it can and will happen. If you can't live with the risk find a new hobby.....perhaps stamp collecting.

I shoot tons of 50's Yugo....at 5.9 cents a piece and with the 5.1 cents I get for each empty piece of brass....I can't not shoot it....practicly pays for itself.

If you are scared spend a few more pennies and shoot Romanian....or better yet, factory Winchester or Remington ammo.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Double 8 U Scare Me!!!!
Gess Guess Ill Put on my Armor before I test fire my new Builds :((
Glad Ur OK Chewy
No One wants to Be a One Nut

·
6,504 Posts
I think 8 would be safer standing in front of his gun:).

I've shot tons of 8mm Turk and Yugo in my 1919 and 1928 steamer using a Crankfire with no mishaps.

But, but, but, but, but, but, but and I mean but, I headspace my gun for it. You can take SAAMI and toss it out the window.

I'm not gonna recommend Yugo or anybody elses to anyone cuz I don't want my fingerprints on any mishaps, but send me all your old nasty Yugo and I'll properly dispose of it...I have a couple of machines that will actually separate the casing from the slug and bury the lead cored projectile at a bonified slug disposal site :). They will also localize the brass casings into a neat pile to where I can scoop them up for recycling because of my environmental concerns...that's just the kinda guy I am.

·
Master Window Licker
2,853 Posts
The first time it happenend was headspace, i just got it and knew nothin about headspace but the class 3 guys i got it from headspaced it for me at the shop, i took it home, shot it KABOOM, they didnt have it headspaced right.

The second time was ammo. I have shot 100,000's of rnds of turk ammo threw my 1919 but i bought a batch couple yrs ago, 20,000 rnds and every rnd in it is BAD! Any beltfed, semi or F/A it blows up, it shoots fine in mausers and any thing else 8mm but will NOT run in a beltfed. Just a bad lot #. So here i am tryin to get rid of this 20,000 rnd batch of ammo ......5 rnds at a time in a bolt gun, SLOW!

·
Master Window Licker
2,853 Posts
Yeah, that wasnt major, that just got in my hand as i recall. When it gets 2' way from your familly jewels or burys itself in your ass cheek, THOSE are the ones to remmember.

·
6,504 Posts
One in the hand, one in the thigh and one in the ass...sounds like you're doing that Macarana dance thingy ;).

At five rounds at a time, you'd be better off pulling the powder and slugs and storing them for future reloading after you save your good 8mm brass from better batches.

8, could you do us all a favor and post a pic of the headstamp or tell us what's on it? That would be much appreciated. Thx.

·
Master Window Licker
2,853 Posts
The one in the thigh is 1939 turk, the one i took, well, as Forrest Gump called it "the Million Dollar Wound" It was a 1943. I have the 39 stored here somewhere, whats left of it.

I have had lots of 39 and 45 that does run, but this was all in the same batch and for some reason it will not run in a beltfed. The incident that Dave D is talkin about is when i tried that ammo in my daughters semi 1919, thinkin that maybe she could run it out of it but it wont work still even in a semi, i thought i would give it a try, you know, no timing. I also made sure I tried it first, not any of them. Good thing cause it peperred me pretty good all down my arm as its a A6 model and was close to the ground.

The ammo in this batch looks like any other batch, nice and clean, tight bullets so on. Got me confused as to why this whole 20,000 rnds is bad and the other 100,000's turk ammo i have shot is good. ANy thoughts?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts