1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks
My OOW semi parts kit is ready to be picked up from my FFL. I can't wait and will post pics. I have a lot of surplus 30-06 and 8mm ammo as well as 308. I would like to obtain parts to convert to both 30-06 and 8mm. I have found a place for the parts, I'm just not so sure what parts I would need for each conversion (30-06 and 8mm). I have done some research, but get different answers each time. I've looked for old threads, but may have missed something.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Welcome Aboard! and congrats on your first kit!
Caliber conversions are pretty much straight-forward. You will get a few different answers, since a "basic" conversion will work, but some folks believe in going all the way. I'm a minimalist myself, so I'll chime in on the "only what you really need for it to work" methods :D.

First off, when you build your weapon, make sure you use a right front cartridge stop (30.06) and the supplied Israeli rear cartridge stop (this one usually still has rivet remains in most kits). I'm assuming it will be a standard, Israeli 308 build..........Now for the conversions:

30.06...additional parts-

*30.06 Booster - Opening diameter of .718", or the M7 flash hider/booster
*30.06 Barrel
***optionalShort Cartridge Stop - These weapons are very sensitive to overall length of cartridges being used. If using milspec M2 ball, you should be fine, but if you use commercial or have variances in OAL....you may want one of these.

...that should be it for the parts. Now here's what you do:

1) Remove front and rear, left side cartridge stops/guides. Make sure you put the BH pawl, spring, and pin back in
2) Change out barrel with 30.06
3) Change out booster
4) Headspace and go

8mm...additional parts-
*30.06 Booster - same one you use for 30.06 (.718' diameter)
*8mm Barrel
*8mm Front Cartridge Stop/Guide

Here's what to do:

1) Remove both 308, Cartridge Stops/Guides
2) Install 8mm Front Cartridge Stops/Guides
3) Change out Barrel with 8mm
4) Change out Booster
5) Headspace and go

There will be some discussion on other parts to change out, but that's all you need to run all three calibers. If you really wanted to, you could change out the topcover to a 30.06, but the only rear difference is the belt feed pawl. All of mine run just fine with either topcover for the three calibers discussed. The only real difference, if I am correct, is the arm bend in the pawl, and the serrated portion that grabs the belt/links.

On the 8mm Barrel, who's your supplier? (they've been scarce lately) There have been some issues on the chamber cut that affect the Yugo surplus 8mm. Make sure you find out about that. You will want a chamber that is reamed out to handle the Yugo stuff.

Hope this helps. If you need any more info, don't hesitate to ask. Things are a little slow over here right now, but someone will chime in sooner or later.

Matt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the reply. I ordered my 30-06 parts today. SUPER excited about that. I ordered my 30-06 barrel (WWII USGI), bearing & booster, and belt feed pawl. I won an 8mm barrel on Ebay. Not sure of the maker, but haven't seen one in a long time. I still need to find an 8mm front cartridge stop guide. I think that I will have me busy for a while anyway. Hope to get some pics up tomorrow of what I have. :D

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
"Remove rear, left side cartridge guide" (paintmanmatt)

This is not necessary all the guide is for is to guide the cartridge rim passed the sideplate and present it to the bolt face. It works for all three calibers not just .308. No need to remove unless you want the gun to look more U.S. GI. I left mine in place and works just fine in aught 6 and .308. I really believe this guide was a product improvement not only for the conversion to .308 but the .30-06 as well. Maybe Gatekeeper can find out for us.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ohio Ordnance Works M1919-A4 Semi Auto Parts Kit

Hey Folks
Thanks so much for the replies and support. Here are some pics of my kit. Haven't cleaned it off yet for prep. This is straight outta the box!! I will post pics of conversion parts as they arrive. I can't tell you how excited I am to get this baby together!!!:D

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
"Remove rear, left side cartridge guide" (paintmanmatt)

This is not necessary all the guide is for is to guide the cartridge rim passed the sideplate and present it to the bolt face. It works for all three calibers not just .308. No need to remove unless you want the gun to look more U.S. GI. I left mine in place and works just fine in aught 6 and .308. I really believe this guide was a product improvement not only for the conversion to .308 but the .30-06 as well. Maybe Gatekeeper can find out for us.
Hhhmmm.............I never even tried to run in any other calibers than 308 with the Izzy RR Guide installed. Goes to show you, these weapons are the beast, as long as they're headspaced properly, they'll usually run.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Enjoy building! I just finished my own OOW kit just a short time ago. Let me know if you need help. (myusername @ gmail)

Take your time and don't let yourself get rushed, that's when stupid things happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
8mm Barrel Arrived: Maker Unknown

Hey Folks
Gets better around here as the goodies come in the mail. Well, for me anyway. The wife is less than impressed:D I examined the barrel. Looks really nice, and used little. I could not find any maker marks. The only marks are 8MM that I have pictured below. They are about 6 inches from the threads. There is also a little blue dot where someone might have marked for head spacing I guess. Waiting on my 30-06 parts from BMGparts.com. I'll post pics of those too as they come in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BMGParts.com Arrived

Hey Folks
My 30-06 parts from BMGParts.com arrived Friday. Here are the pics I promised. No luck on barrel make for the 8mm.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Nice Buffalo Arms USGI barrel there. Aside from the BA (mfr's code) at the end of the drawing number, that course turned, almost ribbed, finish is standard on BA barrels. Makes them easy to see at a glance.

On your 8mm, most of those are commercially made. These have been made and/or sold by companies such as The Ammunition Store, DEZ Arms, Model 1 Sales and our own John B. McGuire. Without looking at known samples, I can't say for certain what you have. I do have samples of McGuire and Model 1 barrels I can look at sometime this weekend. Might help, might not!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts