1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me some input/opinions/experiences regarding the 1919's (308) made by Ohio Rapid Fire, Allied Armament and their quality. Are they decent, fairly made weapons, or are they an accident (poor quality, wrong parts) waiting for a time and place to happen?? I appreciate your responses.

·
Registered
144 Posts
fit and finish of the 1919a4

i have (1) ohio rapid fire and (3) A.A. 1919a4,
the orf has rust in coming out in places and the overall fit and finish is not near as good as the A.A. i have only fire one of the A.A. and the orf and the A.A. seems to shoot better than the orf. if i had to do it over i would not buy another orf.
i am saving my money to get a 8mm for mcguire (i think thats his name) to try it.
this is just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I know many debates have been about the ORF. So I'll just post my experience. :D
My ORF has had now nearly 2800rnds through it, and the only problem was a broken accelerator. Easy fix. It's been running great ever since. Likes both links and belts.

As far as rust in the seams, yep they do.. but it's just surface rust from not correctly neutralizing it during their park process. It's not that hard, I dunno why they have such a problem. Nothing a quick sand blast and re-park can't fix. It makes all the difference in the world on em.

Im happy with mine so far.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The general consensus about ORF is not a very good one. I can't tell from personal experience, but from what I read on the boards, there was enough bad info for me NOT to select them.

I tried AA and will not go with them again.

For the price and quality, John McGuire seems to be the way to go.

The top of the line in terms of cost seems to be Black Bear. I tried e-mailing them before for info but never received a response.

There seems to be plenty of members in all parts of the contry. Ask to meet with members to see what they have and try them out for yourself.

There should be plenty of replies. So be prepared to do plenty of reading.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have not purchased a complete gun, but I have purchased a side plate, karma trigger and sear, and a rivit set from ORF. The sideplate is excellent so far in my opinion. My only issue is that I paid extra for the GM stamping on the side, and it sure doesn't seem very deep to me.

The fit of the sideplate is very good, and the quality of steel is excellent.

I bought a few replacement parts from SARCO, and was somewhat disappointed. I have dealt with them many times over the years and always got good parts. For some reason the 1919A4 parts I ordered were not very good. I wanted a replacement shroud screw and got an aluminum screw with a too small head to do the job. I also wanted a replacement screw for the bolt stop. You know the one, it is a lotted screw that is normally staked in place and gets kinda chewed up over the years. Sarco sent me an allen head I could have gotten at Lowes. I was expecting genuine replacement parts.

I got my kit from Ohio Ordnance and am very very pleased with it. The price was right and the parts are in very good condition. I got every single part including the hold open bar. Used, but not abused.

I got my tripod from Cole, and it is nothing short of fabulous. I expected a somewhat beat up Izzy painted leftover, and got a virtually brand new parkerized tripod, T and E and pintle.

Oh yeah, on a final note....got my links from Amish Bob.......got them REALLY FAST......a big box delivered by a uniformed messenger. I opened the box and ....lessee....1-2-3-4-5------------------------------400-401-402-------------------------583-584-585, or was it 586? 587? sheesh......1-2-3-4-

I give up. I"m going with the Rodney Dangerfield count system....feels like a thousand to Me!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1919Semi-Owner said:
The general consensus about ORF is not a very good one. I can't tell from personal experience, but from what I read on the boards, there was enough bad info for me NOT to select them.

I tried AA and will not go with them again.

For the price and quality, John McGuire seems to be the way to go.

The top of the line in terms of cost seems to be Black Bear. I tried e-mailing them before for info but never received a response.

There seems to be plenty of members in all parts of the contry. Ask to meet with members to see what they have and try them out for yourself.

There should be plenty of replies. So be prepared to do plenty of reading.
You went with an Allied Armament 1919A4? Or was it another product? What was your negative experience?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a U.S. Ordnance gun. The quality and function of the gun was top notch. I liked their particular way they machine the RHSP. Their guns are not cheap though, however, reasonable for the quality of the gun you get. I just ordered a Allied Armament gun and I hope they do the same setup as US Ordnacne. Bad news is that US Ordnance suspended their semi-auto production do to gov. contracts.

Any fellow Marines out there???

·
Registered
346 Posts
I know this is off the subject but, you can alway's build your own. If you need help there's plenty here. Rollin and the gang advised me and mine run's flawlessly. Try it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
All in all I would ultimately agree with Arctic2..

The best by far i think would be to build your own. I wish my first one was a build. But no matter, since my first commercial bought rifle also helped me understand inside and out how the 1919 works.

A build is pretty simple, plus it carries much more personal satisfaction when it's complete. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Arisaka San said:
All in all I would ultimately agree with Arctic2..

The best by far i think would be to build your own. I wish my first one was a build. But no matter, since my first commercial bought rifle also helped me understand inside and out how the 1919 works.

A build is pretty simple, plus it carries much more personal satisfaction when it's complete. :D
Where does one obtain quality parts (complete kit) and how do you know they are quality? I'm mechanically inclined, but how many "specialized" tools are required to do this??? My apprehension is in the arena of "function and reliability" of the end product. I have patience when it comes to assembly and such, but will I wish that someone more "qualified" had assembled it?? I do not have welding experience, nor have I parkerized anything on this scale.
So, Arisaka San, how simple is "pretty simple". I'm pondering whether I want to venture into this. Maybe you can help me decide.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also checked with Black Bear and Mark said (voice message) he wasn't building any till Nov, so that avenue is on hold.

·
Registered
71 Posts
dexter said:
Where does one obtain quality parts (complete kit) and how do you know they are quality? I'm mechanically inclined, but how many "specialized" tools are required to do this??? My apprehension is in the arena of "function and reliability" of the end product. I have patience when it comes to assembly and such, but will I wish that someone more "qualified" had assembled it?? I do not have welding experience, nor have I parkerized anything on this scale.
So, Arisaka San, how simple is "pretty simple". I'm pondering whether I want to venture into this. Maybe you can help me decide.
I recently finished my first build (ever), and test fired it yesterday. Ran GREAT. After acquiring my kit I did my build slowly, getting a thingie or widget here and there (Izzy A6 stuff, rivets, side plate, machining of internals, etc...) due to a limited budget. The whole time I was gathering stuff, I read and re-read the tutorials here and on other boards. To be honest, once I drilled the first hole and started riveting, it was almost anti-climatic. I was expecting it to be more difficult than it was. As to tools, you'll need some drill bits (spend the extra bucks for cobalt bits), a couple of countersinks, a rivet setting tool (you could make your own), and a few other little tools. Nothing really major. Most of my holes were drilled with a hand drill. I had a piece of 1/2" scrap steel to use as an anvil, and made a rivet bucking bar out of a piece of 1/2" key stock cut to fit between the sideplates. I could only do one rivet at a time, but I was in no hurry. I bought a cheap air hammer to set my rivets, but found I could do a better job with a regular ol' hammer (I can always use the air hammer to chip up tile when we remodel the bathrooms).

The only problems I really had were cosmetic Even after practcing on some scrap, some of the rivet heads on my build were not the cleanest. I redid some of them. Take your time riveting, as I had a couple of rings around one or two from using the air hammer. See above.

What I am trying to say, is that if I can do it, anybody can. Read, ask questions, and enjoy. It was an awesome feeling when I pulled the trigger for the first time and the weapon fired, knowing that I put it together. My 1919 may not be the prettiest, but it is MINE!!:D

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
dexter said:
I've got every "****ialized" tool you need for $42.00 delivered, in cobolt (yes I'm a shameless self promotor). I used scrap bar stock as a bucking bar, and a piece of 2" sheet as an anvil. 30calmachinegunner does a great job on internals. Along the way you'll get to learn about solid rivets, parking (I use Dutch's Ospho brew) and a little about how JB's brain worked. You can do this.

MSG

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:)
dexter said:
I don't make a habit of jumping into first time projects without weighing the risks. The recent tutorials and threads that I've read have given me a better understanding of the process. I really appreciate the input. It seems as though many members are more than willing to share and help. I'm going to have to rethink this build-your-own option and decide what to do. In the meantime, I'll attempt to glean from everyones' experiences and knowledge.:)

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
HottAK47 said:
Hope that worked fer ya. You DID remember to include the eye of Newt, right?
And the essence of Brillo and tribute to Abe also. Did I mention I got Green?

MSG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts