1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
Any tips on reloading for my 1919 A6? I have 150 gr Speers on hand (BTSP), RL 19 and H4350 powder. .30-06 caliber.
TIA
Bill

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
First...suggest you load only 150gr or 165gr FMJ military type bullets. A SP or HP might not feed well,as several of us who reload have found out. I'd also suggest a ball powder,as it weigh's easier and more precisely than the older style extruded types. My pet load w/150gr FMJ is 57gr of AA# 2700 or 48gr of AA #2520. Both are ball powders that burn clean and are consistant for accuracy. Rule of thumb for every pistol/rifle cal...set bullet .015 below max length. That way it will fit in every mag and chamber for that caliber. Stay safe...load up...and only load 5-rds and test 'em...FIRST....!!

·
Registered
975 Posts
My load is 48 gr of IMR 4895 with 150 fmj m2 bullets (pulled). Works well in my M1, 1903, and M1919. Just do your research

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First...suggest you load only 150gr or 165gr FMJ military type bullets. A SP or HP might not feed well,as several of us who reload have found out. I'd also suggest a ball powder,as it weigh's easier and more precisely than the older style extruded types. My pet load w/150gr FMJ is 57gr of AA# 2700 or 48gr of AA #2520. Both are ball powders that burn clean and are consistant for accuracy. Rule of thumb for every pistol/rifle cal...set bullet .015 below max length. That way it will fit in every mag and chamber for that caliber. Stay safe...load up...and only load 5-rds and test 'em...FIRST....!!
Many thanks!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
i my opinion, small base dies are the safest/most reliable option for all semi auto use. its the ONLY thing i use in my semi stuff.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Most common mistake many reloaders use is not sizing the case properly. Once size die is screwed down finger tight with the shell holder...lower ram down and turn die body another 1/2 turn. Due to 'tolerance-stacking',under pressure of a case being sized,the 'air-gap' between the shell holder and die body will increase about 1/8". This will not size the case correctly and unless fixed,will result in cases that may not chamber properly. Use of a cartridge head-space gauge will insure you of a properly sized case. This is particularly important in reloading rifle cases. After 40+ years of reloading...never needed to use a small-base die set. This is strictly personal preference...and practice loading over 100+ calibers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts