1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what to call this one. I am building a model with all the improvements that have been suggested as "should have been done" to improve the earlier models.
Dolf suggested a couple things in his books which will be on it.

Couple of questions for you guys:

Who do you think would have been the one to make it if it was made? :help:

What years would it probably have been made if it had been? :help:

Why would one build this? I can answer that one. Cause I can.

Steamer

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
It probably would be Saginaw or RIA when development was turned back to arsenals.

Are you looking to mill the one peice cast style then weld it up? I had thought how cool that would be. The date 1948 springs to mind but I would need to break out Dolfs book to check the one peice castings.That may have been the date they dropped the idea.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to read up on that. I was thinking rivets but flush on the outside, all of them. M37 spring, and a few other items from Dolf's book.

I need to get a plain side plate so I can have it engraved for this new model. RIA or Saganaw would be fine but what would they have called it?
1919A7?
If I could find a 70% right side plate that would be great.

I really like slotted barrel guard (sorry it's late, 10:30 and I just got home from work. Started at 4:30 am) so it will have that on front.
Maybe a SHORTY barrel?

Steamer :sleep:

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
There were some interesting development features and models, some just before and even during the war, that never made it past prototype stage. Quick change barrels were worked on, lightening the gun, exposed barrel with support similar to the M2HB, etc. I think much of that was probably done at RIA, or at least it was run by the Ordnance Dept. Post war I know Springfield was involved in the M37, as well as RIA. And there was another outside company involved in that too, during the early 50s.

I only wish I had more time, or at least a regularly available machinist to do prototype stuff with. My skills on the mill and lathe are just not up to the task, but I've been playing with a number of concepts for years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts