1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1919 doesnt fire-- revisited problem solved

ok built the think myself- had at least 100 rounds through it no problem. was using some indian 308 ammo (yes i know its crap- just using it up). anyways worked great then it jammed up- the round was stuck in there- had to open the top cover and pry the unfired round from the ejector- im guessing soft brass there. anyways set it all back it, pulled the trigger then all it did was go click. tried a few more rounds got the same. the primers werent dimpled at all. where do i start looking?? thanks [email protected] Mike

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Sounds like deep set primers. First check the chamber for parts of a shell - then pull the firing pin and check it for crap and gunk. Also check the bolt face and see if there are any chips out of the slotted area from prying out the shell.

If it's all clean, cycle and dry fire and see if it clicks. If it does it may just be deep seated primers in the Indian cases. JM.02

·
"man of the cloth" Loader
864 Posts
Mike,
You may also want to check that the firing pin is sticking out good after the "click". You can easily see it in the T slot after you open the top cover.
Hope this helps,
BA

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
crap

I think that was covered in part one - then pull the firing pin and check it for crap and gunk ???? :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Click

Sounds like a broken firing pin. The first thing you need to do with that Indian crap is dump it in the deepest lake you can find. If you lay it all out on a flat surface you should spot rounds with thick, out of spec, rims and necks that are not completely formed. I bit on 2m of that junk and ended up busting it apart for the powder and bullets. 25% of the bullets were as much as .004 undersize. Fortunately I did not destroy any of my guns. I noticed that J&G is no longer selling it. Don't know if they just ran out or spent too much money replacing peoples guns. In my opinion it was the worst ammo I have seen in years. I think that with the cost of ammo going up your going to see a lot of people hitting the loading presses again. 8mm is cheap, often corrosive, and you will have to spend several hundred for a barrel, booster cone and cartridge guides. Buy Argentine or hit the bench.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Yep, sounds like busted fp. Remove ammo, open top cover, pull trigger, look down T slot, should see fp protruding.

Follow the bolt disassembly tutorial on the home page to remove it. You don't have to remove that hazardous driving rod to remove the fp, but make sure it's locked in good and always pointed in a safe direction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well

finally got around to this. is this scary or what? the CRAP indian ammo. there was a fired bullet about an inch down the barrel. i think it was to large in diameter to travel down, and you can see the indent in the back of the bullet where the next bullet tried to rechamber the next round. unsafe?? goon ammo- not. the firing pin looks fine, but i ordered an extra for the heck of it. thanks for the help guys- mike

·
Registered
886 Posts
I cant believe diamiter too big,,prob no/not enough powder,,called a "squib" round/load. You are lucky the next round would not go all the way home or you would of had a nightmare:eek:

·
Registered
260 Posts
indian ammo

the indian ammo is junk i've got a couple thousand rounds and maybe 1% of it has rims that are to thick and will not completly slide down the t slot in the bolt---i'm now reloading

·
Legendary Donor
2,485 Posts
Seriously, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BAD, just how bad is hard to say considering the ammo is crap, the next round could have been another squib or overcharged, either way its bad.

By the way, J&G is selling the Indian Ammo for COMPONENTS ONLY, although I wouldn't even want them

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Indian is iffy

The Indian stuff is iffy but if you have a Fal with a beat up barrel its okay but I can concur on the fact that the rims are definetely out of spec for something like the 1919.

Anyway Muuk Bahr would like to thank you for your purchase with exclusive footage from their ammo testing indoor range. :D

http://www.thedisease.net/media/pansy.wmv

·
Registered
754 Posts
If the bullet and force of the powder could not travel down the barrel, it would be pushing back on the bolt. something would have to give, shear,break ,etc.... it def. would not be good. always check the chamber and barrel after having a problem.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
mikedddd said:
serioulsy would the gun had blown up? what could of happened?
It could have been anything, ranging all the way from not much to serious injury or death. This is not a joke !

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
mikedddd said:
serioulsy would the gun had blown up? what could of happened?
I love when this question comes up...pic is worth blah, blah, blah; lobo the squib master :). Fortunately no one was to my right or I would have fragged them.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Hey

Hey squib loads are nothing to make light of... But don't you think if you have to ask you might just need to take a safety course to be better informed... Hindsight is always 20/20 and I know not everyone is perfect or has an instructor with them everytime at the range. These things should be addressed before anyone ever fires a weapon not only for their own saftey but also for others around them. I had to teach a kid in the navy yesterday about squib loads he chambered another round on top of one that didn't go and I caught him in time before he pulled the trigger, now you would figure that they would explain to them about this situation. Now they give them ar-15's hooked up to air compressors... Virtuallly no live fire training. What gives and thats not the first time I have heard that. Some Marines gave me the same info before they got shipped over to Iraq the Sargent told me he was going through every part of safety and failures with the weapons with his boys because they didn't have the live fire training...:confused:

Hey Lobo did the duct tape fly off after the last time you fixed that barrel:D

Maybe Lobo can make up a cheat sheet to leathal stoppages for the 1919 as they are a bit different than a regular firearm. I have noticed over the past year Lobo and a few others have sited instances where you should really stop and take a look at what you got going on... Beyond just headspace

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
If folks would go to the second sticky http://1919a4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818 and read items 4, 5 & 6 these kinds of stoppages are addressed. You can lead a horse to water......

The duct tape didn't last but one round so I had to switch over to JB Weld :).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts