1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have always been a 30-06 guy. Stockpiled a bunch of it. I also have a bunch of 8mm
What advantages is there to switch calibers on the 1919?

30-06 ammo value keeps going up. Is it worth shooting or switching to another caliber.

I have 10 sets of 308 barrels, booster and front cartridge guide. Just trying to see if I should keep them or sell them.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
From the APEX point of view, I can provide spares for the 7.62 NATO gun for some time to come.
8MM and 30-06 barrels and other dedicated parts are becoming scarce.
Right now the availability of ammo is an issue.
One of my people just bought a FAL, and isn't having much luck finding M80 7.62NATO ball ammo.

Richard

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Yeah, I made the switch to 8MM when surplus was in the .08 cents a round bracket - and we shot a ton of it!
Now, unless you have a bunch stock-piled [Yugo & Romanian], it doesn't really pay to switch over AFA I am concerned.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Do what I do , I keep 2 barrels for each cal and switch as ammo prices do...I rarely shoot 30-06 as I don't have a lot of it loaded...But I have a bunch of componets to load for it...I have ton's of 8mm but stopped shooting it in the 1919 because of the price of it now and the fact I don't reload it...I also have a dozen other guns that shoot 8mm....308 is my GO TO because a have a bunch of it loaded , and a bunch to reload.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,199 Posts
Good discussion. Really, the nice thing about the 1919 is that it is easily convertible between those three calibers. Surplus ammo prices have usually dictated which is popular. There are still 8mm barrels available, for those who have a stash of ammo in that caliber. With the combined pandemic/riot/election dynamic, ammo prices suck for pretty much everything, so that is not much of a factor for choosing what to shoot. For a little extra money, there are the Russian caliber conversions too. I don't think we are likely to see 30-06 ammo on the cheap again, however. If you were to conserve some of what you have, that would be the first I would suggest. In time, 7.62 NATO will come back to a fairly normal price, as it will be current issue for many years to come. As for 8mm, that's hard to say. What new production I've seen was reasonably priced a year or so ago, but some at least was shorter than the old mil spec, which becomes difficult in the Browning. Decent surplus in any caliber seems to be almost a thing of the past, as far as new importation.

Reactions: toolmanm203

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
I like 30-06.
I reload so I’m pretty set up in it. .308 is ok. I don’t seem to get the performance out of .308 that I want. The gun seems to run better in 30-06 too. .308 is more economical of course. I went through a phase trying to convert all the machine guns to .308. In the end I learned everything works better in its original caliber. Imagine that. I have never run 8mm in a Browning. Nothing against 8mm, I love 8mm. Just never ran it in a Browning.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I used to run alot of 8mm in my guns when it was affordable to do so. I now reserve my 8mm for my Mausers and reload quite a bit, so it's mainly 308 and occasionally 30.06 when I'm feeling nostalgic or want to showcase a gun in it's "original configuration".
I will agree with Mike Duke, that you have less adjusting and your guns will run smoother with "in spec" 30.06, but as Richard has stated..............it's becoming easier and a little more cost effective to stockpile spare parts in 308.

I love being us.........some of my other friends just don't understand the torture we face when we try to make decisions like, "what caliber should I shoot in my belt-fed today?"

Matt

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
My shooter is set up in 7.62x51 and that is mainly because it is more cost effective when I take it put with friends but most of my Browning's are set up in 30.06 and while I have the parts to run 8mm in them I just have never done it. I know for a fact that Dolf has shot 8mm in his Browning's for years and prefers it because it does perform quite well but as stated above the days of cheap and plentiful 8mm are behind u so I save mine for the MG34's and 42's

·
Registered
169 Posts
In my experience, nothing runs a full auto 1919a4 like 30-06...so I definitely agree with the above sentiment. Having said that, 8mm runs the 1919a4 just as well IMO. 8mm also runs with the original booster and belts up easily on the cloth belt loader...so it's a lot more "plug and play" with the "system" and less tinkering than 308. I still run 308 in one of my 1919's and it runs great, once dialed in for the type/brand ammo used.

After trying for years with many different types of belts and two different belt loaders...I finally gave up trying to belt 308 and run 308 exclusively on links.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I have post sampes set up in the different calibers, becasue I can. the C&R guns like the 1917A1 and M37 are in 30cal, but I have 308, 8mm and 54R 1919A4s gun as well. as noted above the 8mm gun runs quite well, and except for occasional dud rounds , pretty much eats anything. the 308 gun seems a tad finicky, and some of that is due to differences in surplus ammo. The 54R gun is problematic, and I have yet to get it ironed out. We fired the 8mm gun this summer a lot because I got a batch of cheap yugo and Greek 8mm, and we fired probably 3500 rds at a couple of shoots. the barel in that gun has less than zero rifling, as in iy looks like a polished tube. Gun just runs. Great for the grand kids to shoot off the 1917 tripod. as noted though it really depends on what you have for ammo. I reload like Mike D.
does, and have a good supply of 30-06, 308 and 8mm .

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Reloading is something I find as a relaxing way to spend time. I prefer original calibers, my 1917A1 is in 30-06 and I have no plans to convert it to any other. With the right equipment it doesn't take long to turn out a batch like this.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've only ever run my 1919A4 in 8mm, but alas it's only a semi-auto... 😔 Now that my supply has dwindled, I'm looking to switch over to 308 or even 30-06. Don't shoot it as much as I used to though...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Removing the access to ammo difficulties, it comes down to method of belt loading. 3006 and 8mm is preferred for the cloth guys, 308 is slow problematic " not worth the time ". I've found it takes 3 times as long minimum to belt a cloth 308 belt evenly. I haven't fight 308 in a couple years mainly because its faster and much less physically brutal on my hands fixing the belts under a short time. I've always found it that I'm under a short time before a shoot so that usually dictates that. That said I'm going to run next year in 308 for a change so will have to start earlier.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts