1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a NOS BA top cover and found that the latch barely closes on it, the old one fit fine. What's the best way to get this to fit? Thanks. JP

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
File the latch plate on the rear of the cover till your topcover latch properly engages it. DO NOT try to file the latch as that part is hardened.

You do not need to file the whole top of it, just a slight angle on the rear for it to engage properly

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
File the latch plate on the rear of the cover till your topcover latch properly engages it. DO NOT try to file the latch as that part is hardened.

You do not need to file the whole top of it, just a slight angle on the rear for it to engage properly
Thanks!

JP

·
Premium Member
6,928 Posts
Yes as GSG stated the top covers need to be fitted to the guns and it is not uncommon to have NOS top covers that will not engage the top cover latch. Take your time and do a little at a time and you will be fine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes as GSG stated the top covers need to be fitted to the guns and it is not uncommon to have NOS top covers that will not engage the top cover latch. Take your time and do a little at a time and you will be fine.
I filed the cover and it fits fine now, thanks!

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Not uncommon to see top covers with bare steel showing where it is filed to fit. Have had many water cooled covers, especially, where that lug was welded up and then filed or ground for the latch. Excellent job on that, JFP, and hat's off to the hired help around here! :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would also recommend you look for resistance (metal to metal) where the top cover hits the LSP and RSP at the hinge bolt. I've found them hitting there as well which has also made the cover not close properly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would also recommend you look for resistance (metal to metal) where the top cover hits the LSP and RSP at the hinge bolt. I've found them hitting there as well which has also made the cover not close properly.
Thanks for the tip Bigmike. I'll check it out.

JP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts