1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have been in search of a transit Chet for sometime. I finally decided to build one. Being a carpenter seems pretty straight forward. I was wondering how many meme vets would possibly be interested in having one built. I don’t see why I screw lid shut for shipping since it’s a crate. I have no idea what one would be worth as there are non to base a price off of. So just wanted to see peoples thoughts and interest in having me build them one. I can stencil them as well if wanted with wording wanted by buyer. Would be extra of course.
Thanks,
Phil

p.s. Will post pictures Monday when I get back to shop of one in progress.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Table Cabinetry Wood Window Rectangle

Wood Rectangle Flooring Wood stain Floor

Furniture Table Wood Building Automotive exterior

here are some pictures of the first one prototype. Decided to make it out of solid boards instead of the 2 piece sides like this one. Also would be option of rope handles or the metal one like these. Pictures of interior layout to come.
Phil

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
A couple months ago, I decided I needed a transit chest as well. I haul the 1917a1 and the 1919a4 out to WWII living histories a few times a year. I made one for the 1917a1 a couple of years ago, but had never made one for the a4.
After the last outing, I decided there had to be a better way to get that gun and paraphernalia to the events than setting it in the back seat of the truck, or rolling it in blankets to ride in the enclosed trailer.
After checking out other people’s transit cases, and looking at images online, I made this one.
I have no intention of making another one, unless of course I get another belt fed.
I can say that it has made the storage and transportation of this particular gun MUCH easier. I wish I had built it 10 years ago.
For those of you who are pondering the “need”, they are worth it!

Good luck with your sales. Your box looks far more study than mine.
Wood Rectangle Hardwood Gas Table

Wood Door Fixture Gas Hardwood

Brown Wood Rectangle Wall Wood stain

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple months ago, I decided I needed a transit chest as well. I haul the 1917a1 and the 1919a4 out to WWII living histories a few times a year. I made one for the 1917a1 a couple of years ago, but had never made one for the a4.
After the last outing, I decided there had to be a better way to get that gun and paraphernalia to the events than setting it in the back seat of the truck, or rolling it in blankets to ride in the enclosed trailer.
After checking out other people’s transit cases, and looking at images online, I made this one.
I have no intention of making another one, unless of course I get another belt fed.
I can say that it has made the storage and transportation of this particular gun MUCH easier. I wish I had built it 10 years ago.
For those of you who are pondering the “need”, they are worth it!

Good luck with your sales. Your box looks far more study than mine. View attachment 117779
View attachment 117778
View attachment 117777
I based my design of other military crates. Wanted them to look as authentic as possible. Thanks for posting pictures of yours.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Here are mine if it helps you any. I’ve built several other styles to suit my other guns such as 1910 Maxim, 1917a1 Browning, Zb37, Schwartzlose, etc.
CaptMax
Camouflage Machine gun Wood Military camouflage Air gun

Musical instrument Wood Table Chair Natural material

Gas Machine Rectangle Grass Wood

Reactions: slowfire

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
you guys did a great job :)

a few years back I saw a transit case for a FARMER'S FRIEND SKS

Navy F-F (weebly.com)

so I decided to make one as a winter project for my scoped "paratrooper SKS" (COWBOY COMPANION) :).

The one I made I believe is a way better then the “FARMER'S FRIEND” crate , I wanted to incorporate a box on the bottom for the scope, so I made it a bit taller by 3 inches to accommodate that, and I made it a bit more wide .

In addition I wasn’t all too crazy with the thin pieces of wood they used as the rifle cradle brackets, and a bit loose in the ‘guide”. So, I made mine from some scrap 2x4s I had laying around in my garage to give it more area to support the rifle and I tighten up the guides so the brackets wouldn't be sloppy. Also, Instead of lining it with felt like the FF, I had some wide and thick vinyl foam weather stripping laying around in my basement from house project I did a while ago to give it more added cushion.

I didn't want to screw head showing, so I plugged them with dowls

For the hinges and latches, got those for nothing. every Sunday afternoons when the gunshow was closing and the ammunition vendors packed up and left, they always left empty wood ammo crates behind. Some had hinges and latches on them, I took those and threw them in my car. I can always use free wood for small projects I might have, and the hinges and latches might come in handy one day for something. :)

all total I spent less then 20 bucks making it, the 1”x8”x12 ft lumber was the only money I spent. I use the lumber for the front, back, sides and the top of the crate. since the bottom would never be seen, I use wood that I had laying around . like everything else I needed to complete the project I had it laying around in my basement. or garage

Anyways, here is my version of the SKS rifle crate.

SCOPE BOX

CRADLE

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
We're you going to make any with rope handles?
I started this because I wanted one for my 1919 and building one seemed the only way. That is the only version I own to be able to layout the inside.
After looking at how old crates were made, there is no way to repair or replace a rope handle without dismantling the side of the crate. Also requires a larger end vertical reinforcement which also adds to over all length of all the sides and adds weigh. This is why I went with the later metal stamped handles. if someone wants rope handles I can do them. Just keep in mind when they fray and break, replacing Them will look like replaced handles.

Just realized I didn’t build a manual holder in this one. I don’t like the lid mounted holders other have shown as there is metal hardware that can wear out and drop on the gun. I was thinking of a pocket by the barrel of the gun along the side of crate. However there are 3-4 different size manuals that I know of for the 1919. I would need to know which version you have to build appropriate pocket.

I also will be added lid stiffeners to the inside of the lid to keep it flat on top. Most military crates would have them on outside. Let me know if you want them that way. The first pictures show the skid on the outside of lid. This is because I changed design to solid boards in stead of 2 piece.
Send me an email at [email protected] and we can go through specifics there.
Thank you,
Phil

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any possibility of using slotted screws rather than Phillips? It would make it look more period.
Would increase the cost as slotted screw are more expensive than the Phillips. All screws used are construction grade not drywall.

Guys I am building these as a small side project. Thought I would offer a few while building my own. Please email me so I can start a list of who wants a 1919 chest

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Would increase the cost as slotted screw are more expensive than the Phillips.
guys, he's not BSing you. a few years back I decided to make a MARTINI-HENRY wood ammo box as a winter project and decided to use slotted screw as the original. frick I couldn't even find a box anywhere not in the big home improvement stores or the little mom and pop hardware stores, I had to go on the internet to buy it, and I'm here to tell you they weren't cheap, probably more so now. never thought that simple slotted screws would be a specialty item that has to be order on the internet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts