1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 308 Izzy is telling me it would like to run some 30-06, so I remove the spacers in the feedway, change the booster orifice and pop in a 30-06 barrel is that it ? So the 06 barrels are a little more scarce than the 308 ones, is there any reason not to take a 308 barrel and run a 06 chamber reamer in it ? ( not my first chamber), ? I’ll want to get a barrel blueprint before I do it, but it seems like the most economical way for me to go to 06, everyone has 308 barrels in various states of condition fairly reasonable priced. Thanks guys for all your comments and thoughts, Jon P.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Call Sarco and ask for Dave, they still had 30/06 barrels last time I looked. Not sure what the condition of the barrels are in but Dave should be able to give you an answer.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
You will probably have problems rechambering a 7.62 barrel to 30cal, It can be done but 7.62 is a little fatter than the 30-06. I have never tried it and have heard people say it works and also that say they have problems.
This might be a interesting thread if you can get some actual first hand experience to speak up.
Greg

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
My 308 Izzy is telling me it would like to run some 30-06, so I remove the spacers in the feedway, change the booster orifice and pop in a 30-06 barrel is that it ? So the 06 barrels are a little more scarce than the 308 ones, is there any reason not to take a 308 barrel and run a 06 chamber reamer in it ? ( not my first chamber), ? I’ll want to get a barrel blueprint before I do it, but it seems like the most economical way for me to go to 06, everyone has 308 barrels in various states of condition fairly reasonable priced. Thanks guys for all your comments and thoughts, Jon P.
Most all the 7.62 NATO 1919 barrels have chrome lined bores and chambers.
That would make reaming a 7.62X51 chamber to 7.62X63 a bit more challenging.

At some point we will be going thru barrel crates at WH5.
I know we have a LOT of 1928 barrels in both 7.65 and 30-06 as well as 1919 barrels in 7.62 NATO and 30-06.
No new 30-06, they are the barrel we have the least of.

Richard

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
I
My understanding is you cannot re-chamber a .308 barrel to 30.06 due to dimensional differences.
That's my understanding also. I just measured some brass, and the shoulder of a 7.62x51 casing is about 0.008" larger than a .30-06 casing, measured at the same distance from the base. MSG

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
I've heard that, should one re-chamber the 308 to -06, you will get the brass to expand a bit to fill that larger diameter MSG mentions. Fireforming, essentially. Now the Canadians did re-chamber 30-06 barrels to 308 for the C1/C5 conversions, but they actually shortened the barrel slightly and recut the threads and notches, I believe. They had a chamber length issue, obviously. Way too much trouble for what you want, though it solves the problem of the case diameter in the direction you are going. Really, I'd follow the advice above and see what MG Dave at Sarco can come up with. Also, BMG Parts Co may still have 30-06 barrels. APEX points out that they may have some in one of the warehouses. So, they are out there.

Reactions: GBYENKO

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are all absolutely right, reaming out a 308 barrel to 06 would be a mistake, it would be the loosest chamber ever, the brass would fire form and there is no way it could be resized back to original for reloading. I checked out the nato specs and it is obvious that it is not good, could shorten the barrel .2-.300 and make it work but then I might as well start with a blank, I’m gonna be shopping for one, you guys saved me a lot of headaches and work, Thank You. Jon P.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought one of Sarco's Good 30-06 Barrels a few weeks ago. It was in pretty good shape. Worth the $75. Took some elbow grease to clean up to get the grime off and out of it. Bore didn't have any pitting and screwed into the extension without any issues. You can get the barrel spring too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts