1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. Hardly ever do this but want to warn anyone from a builder in Baton Rouge, La. Friend sent a OOW kit to Taylor P. He has a gun shop and a internet presence. Mostly into suppressors.

Taylor charged him $500. After several months, my friend got an unbuilt 1919, broken bottom plate. The box is too tight for the internals, and I'm still looking. Needless to say stick with the known builders.

Btw. He didn't ask my opinion before, but I know of a few good ones.

Wally

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Sounds like He may have mashed the trunion or squished the bottom plate if the internals don't fit.

Might get lucky and He just left the rivet heads too long.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two rivet holes are broke on the bottom plate. He was using a 20ton press. Not sure what he was using for a bucking bar

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately he is not. it was kinda like a gentalmens agreement. They have had some dealings before. I have suggested that we join this website on many occasions.

Wally
Wally please tell me he is going after him for damages and a refund

·
Registered
739 Posts
There is no requirement that a contract or agreement like this be in writing. It would be nice if there was one. Is the "builder" an FFL, or just some unlicensed guy who screws up parts in his spare time?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I would still ask that he replace the damaged parts. Unless your friend told him that he could practice building one of these with his kit

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
IA..??

If so...They claim.

"" Our team members have prior Military experience and we pride ourselves in high quality workmanship and attention to detail. It won’t leave the shop if it isn't right.""

Wally

At least you can get a replacement Bottom Plate easy enough and that shouldn't be too hard to change out. Sounds like the rivets were a touch too long . That will result in bulging or breaking out the holes.
Check the feed way of the Trunion and see if its bulged up or down in the center ( thinest part).
See if the bbl will slide through trunion freely. How do the sideplates look where they ground off the large trunion rivets. Are the cartridge stops on right side installed ?.....they may have skipped that.

Pics of the mess would be nice if its still at your place.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes

I will try to get some pics once I get home.

Thanks for the suggestions

Wally

IA..??

If so...They claim.

"" Our team members have prior Military experience and we pride ourselves in high quality workmanship and attention to detail. It won’t leave the shop if it isn't right.""

Wally

At least you can get a replacement Bottom Plate easy enough and that shouldn't be too hard to change out. Sounds like the rivets were a touch too long . That will result in bulging or breaking out the holes.
Check the feed way of the Trunion and see if its bulged up or down in the center ( thinest part).
See if the bbl will slide through trunion freely. How do the sideplates look where they ground off the large trunion rivets. Are the cartridge stops on right side installed ?.....they may have skipped that.

Pics of the mess would be nice if its still at your place.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Planning to charge him $500 for the build, then destroying possibly upwards of $300 of parts? You bet your ass their ears would be ringing and they would have to wipe the froth from my empathic descriptions of their abilities from their faces. That is not acceptable. If they didnt know what they were doing they should have refused the work. It would be one thing if a well meaning freind roasted the parts doing you a favor....a business charging you wrecking your parts. No. They are responsible to replace or reinburse.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Planning to charge him $500 for the build, then destroying possibly upwards of $300 of parts? You bet your ass their ears would be ringing and they would have to wipe the froth from my empathic descriptions of their abilities from their faces. That is not acceptable. If they didnt know what they were doing they should have refused the work. It would be one thing if a well meaning freind roasted the parts doing you a favor....a business charging you wrecking your parts. No. They are responsible to replace or reinburse.
Yup - what he said. I'd be going after some refund cash real quick.

·
Registered
337 Posts
That sucks that happened. That shop that Taylor is with does good work too. Id contact him and work something else out. He is on fb in a group called "NFA guns" After all, it was a gentlemans agreement.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Sucks that one has to deal with this BS, even worse when they ruin a good Browning kit.
They shouldn't have taken on the job if they weren't capable of doing it right. :rolleyes:
CaptMax

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Something happened in that build, he is a strong competitor on gunbroker for sales on these. I would see if your friend took pictures of his kit before he sent it. It would be nice to see if he got HIS parts back. Kevin

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Rustyiron SEZ: "Take good pictures and post if possible. I would hope his parts were not swapped for other junk parts."

Too bad it's come to this even here. I learned videos or simple stills can be very valuable, as when the business manager and I rented an auto in Geneva, Switzerland in December. We were unfortunate enough to have a tire blow in France and damage the stamped-steel wheel. Hertz billed us for a styled magnesium-type wheel at over $800. Guess what! The I-Pod video we made before we drove the car off the lot nixed that. People, businesses, LEO's, insurance companies and more are pretty slow to learn the public is pretty peeved and ain't gonna take it anymore. And now it's come down to posting on the board, once-in-awhile, too. CYA!

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
739 Posts
When I did a quick Google search based on the details mentioned in this thread, I turned up a place that advertised gun smithing work. Specifically, they offered machine gun repairs. If this is that same shop, I'd be scared to death to send them anything, let alone something worth 5 figures.

Hoping that this works out.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Going to get some pics up today. From talking to a builder on this board, the box may have been crushed when he was working on the bottom plate. Makes sense. The guy tried to weld the rivet holes on the bottom plate to repair. May just need to start fresh and fix the bottom plate, or replace it. I hope the side plates are not bent.

I didn't want to name the shop but I'm willing to do to on a need to know basis. But I think I gave too much info for people not to find out on their own

Thanks for the advice

Wally

1 - 20 of 67 Posts