1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Certainly not something you see everyday and I think Lucky13 NEEDS this!

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
WOw. I wonder where the heck that came from?
Not sure but back in the day SARCO had them for the trunnions and bottom plates as well as possibly others? Certainly SG molds

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Wish I had found this type of sand-casting mold for the 1918 Browning Belt Loader...!! Had to have molds made for all 5-cast steel parts...base,magazine (top plate),bearing cover,eccentric lever (lower wheel arm) and needle bar arm. The cost's of that production run took me over 3-yrs to get all the parts made...a piece-at-a-time. Whoever gets this mold will have the market on those parts,especially the back plate. It's up to you,Rollin...LOL...!!

·
11,094 Posts
$500 would have this hanging from my wall. $2000 is too much for me as a piece of art. and i don't see going in to production for a back plate happening any time soon.

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
There is a shortage of Rear sight bases, and this would be a good start. Karma was casting new Bottom plates, does anyone know if they have seen this?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
11,990 Posts
I need this? Lol. Yes, I would love to have it, but as Rory says, it is too high priced for most of us here. It has post war numbers, so if it is an actual manufacturer original it is from the 1950s.
It would fit with that mid fifties period when RIA and SAK were producing new 1919A6s. I am curious about where it came from. The rear sight bracket drawings show both cast and forged foundations for that component, during that time. I have a couple of examples where you can still see that drawing number on the flat there, and they do not have the horizontal groove, which had become obsolete.

As MSG pointed out, KMP was initially doing their trunnions and bottom plates from a casting, but switched to milling them from bar stock in the end. And that is the problem. The amount of machine work still required on the raw castings is going to be beyond most of us. In the end, I don't know how you make money on something like this unless you are making large scale numbers of parts and have the market for them. Now it would be a cool thing for the "collection," just as a piece of history. But then that price makes it an expensive curio.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
There is a shortage of Rear sight bases, and this would be a good start. Karma was casting new Bottom plates, does anyone know if they have seen this?
Sarco just did a run of rear sight bases so problem solved.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
11,990 Posts
Sarco just did a run of rear sight bases so problem solved.
I didn't know that they had put those up yet, since last word was they were completing their remaining kits before those were going to be available as a loose component. But you made me check and there they are! (y)

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
11,990 Posts
These are new manufacture, from a casting. I was shown the raw casting some time back. But they look to be very well done, and the price is very reasonable.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
I didn't know that they had put those up yet, since last word was they were completing their remaining kits before those were going to be available as a loose component. But you made me check and there they are! (y)
I would not have posted here if they were still in the works but I figured since they had them listed it was safe. 🤐

1 - 15 of 15 Posts