1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was helping a friend out today with his 1919a4. We are trying to set it up for blanks for a WWII event. I went over the gun and set the headspace and timing with the gauge. when we attempted to fire it with the blanks, the gun ran away and wouldnt stop firing until i grabbed the belt. The gun seems to work fine cycling it with no ammo in it. I have a few ideas of things to look at but was wondering if this has happened to anyone else? The gun also seems to run too fast even with live ammo with the headspace set correctly. Any help would be appreciated. The internals and barrel are all standard parts. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Hello,
I was helping a friend out today with his 1919a4. We are trying to set it up for blanks for a WWII event. I went over the gun and set the headspace and timing with the gauge. when we attempted to fire it with the blanks, the gun ran away and wouldnt stop firing until i grabbed the belt. The gun seems to work fine cycling it with no ammo in it. I have a few ideas of things to look at but was wondering if this has happened to anyone else? The gun also seems to run too fast even with live ammo with the headspace set correctly. Any help would be appreciated. The internals and barrel are all standard parts. Thanks!
Check timing and is the blank firing and live round stop in place?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The timing was set with the gauge and the stop is in place. I am leaning towards a timing issue but it seems right. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Is the sear cracked? I have seen a 1919 semi with a cracked kmp sear that was doing doubles...

Usually blanks run a little faster... Try opening the bfa to make it run slower....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is bringing the gun back next weekend so i will check the sear. If all else fails i will pull the internals from my watercooled and put them in to try to see if it runs correctly. Thanks for the tip about the sear.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Check the cocking lever. Make sure the cocking lever is not hitting the top of the sear when cycling. That could cause it also

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I know its a little late for this, but the next time you or anybody has a runaway gun, grab the CHARGING handle and pull back. Grabbing the ammo while its being fed is asking to get your fingers sucked in and mushed into the feed mechanism.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I know its a little late for this, but the next time you or anybody has a runaway gun, grab the CHARGING handle and pull back. Grabbing the ammo while its being fed is asking to get your fingers sucked in and mushed into the feed mechanism.

OR just leave it pointed in a safe direction and wait for it to run out of ammo. I see bad things that can happen either way of trying to stop it

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yah it probably wasnt a good idea thinking back. I just pulled it towards the back of the gun and it stopped right away. I have had subguns run away but never a belt fed.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Grabbing the ammo belt firmly and twisting it was the method taught to us for the M60 and the M2 .50 cal in the military while I was in. We all had to do it at least three times on the range.

Once you twist the belt, there's no way your hand is going to get caught in anything, the ammo link will break before that happens.

Trying to reach for the charging handle on a 1919 is far more likely to cause injury as its like a hammer going back and forth at a high rate.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I have had several runaway guns in my time. I found that simply pulling the top cover latch to the rear will pop the top cover open and disrupt the ammunition feed. As with any runaway gun extreme caution should be exercised to insure nobody gets shot. When in a fixed tripod mount, the gun is controlled. Folks who free swivel their guns will have be focused to the impact of their rounds and then take immediate action. A runaway gun procedure is not a bad idea to practice so if the situation does happen it can quickly identified and stopped to prevent possible injuries.

Cheers

--fjruple

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
+1 FOR what Finalygotabeltfed SEZ:

Grabbing the ammo belt firmly and twisting was the method taught for the M60 and M2 .50 cal in the Army. We did it at least three times on the range.

Once the belt is twisted, there's no way a hand is going to get caught, as the ammo link will break before that.

Reaching for the charging handle on a 1919 is like trying to grab a hammer reciprocating at high rate.

Best decision is to twist the belt! Posilutly, absitiively easiest and safest. Do not open the topcover!!!

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
By simply twisting the belt, it allows you to keep one hand on the handle to keep the gun pointed safely(especially if no T&E used on a tripod) and stop the ammo feed. Its also a very natural motion to reach forward with one's left hand.

Next time anyone with a full auto is out firing, try it or have your assistant gunner try it.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
I will make the comment that opening the topcover while she is running could expose you to danger of cartridge feagments if an OOB were to occur. Chances of one occurring at that second might be slim but......
Also if the is running full out as you open it it there is a chance of damaging topcover components.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts