1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm completely ignorant about tripod varieties and it's kinda overwhelming to flip thru them looking and wanting to buy one (with a cradle) bc of fear of purchasing one that isnt compatible with 1919a4 or overlooking a specific part that may be required, etc.

Yeah...I'm being sort of lazy but yall could answer this simple question in seconds whereas it'd take me ages to figure it out and I still might buy the wrong one...so I'd appreciate the help.

Looking at Mr Maim's sweet tripod in the pic below...I'd like something like that one. I already have a couple M2 tripods with TE, etc but I'm not crazy about the flimsy TE setup and feel that a true cradle would be nicer IMO.

I'm looking for a specific name of tripod like this, rough price est., and some sources.
And super bonus points if same mount can handle a M60
Thanks,

HH

IMG_4165.JPG

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm completely ignorant about tripod varieties and it's kinda overwhelming to flip thru them looking and wanting to buy one (with a cradle) bc of fear of purchasing one that isnt compatible with 1919a4 or overlooking a specific part that may be required, etc.

Yeah...I'm being sort of lazy but yall could answer this simple question in seconds whereas it'd take me ages to figure it out and I still might buy the wrong one...so I'd appreciate the help.

Looking at Mr Maim's sweet tripod in the pic below...I'd like something like that one. I already have a couple M2 tripods with TE, etc but I'm not crazy about the flimsy TE setup and feel that a true cradle would be nicer IMO.

I'm looking for a specific name of tripod like this, rough price est., and some sources.
And super bonus points if same mount can handle a M60
Thanks,

HH

View attachment 15023
That tripod and cradle is a 1917a1 tripod setup. It was designed for the 1917a1 watercooled gun. As it does work for both the 1919 and 1917a1 guns, it is correct for the 1917a1. Prices on those are expensive ranging anywhere from $1300-$2000 plus depending on condition and other factors.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
M1917A1 is the correct nomenclature not just 1917a1. Sorry I know very anal of me. But yes is the M1917A1 Tripod and will also fit the Vickers tripod.

·
Registered
481 Posts
View attachment 15084

Wow!! it works!! As I noted the rear pin from the tripod will be an issue, but you can use the one from the 60. The gooseneck locks right into the socket. There is room enough to get your paw in the works to run the trigger, however as a noted before the D kit would be the way to go for sure, but I think the linkage rod may be in the way of the H frame? Dunno, not going to drag that out? It's kind of cool when you think about it and the two items are really not that far apart in age relative to today. I don't think you'll find this combo in any manuals though? I'm still :lol: ing that this even works.
:rofl: I like it!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
View attachment 15084

Wow!! it works!! As I noted the rear pin from the tripod will be an issue, but you can use the one from the 60. The gooseneck locks right into the socket. There is room enough to get your paw in the works to run the trigger, however as a noted before the D kit would be the way to go for sure, but I think the linkage rod may be in the way of the H frame? Dunno, not going to drag that out? It's kind of cool when you think about it and the two items are really not that far apart in age relative to today. I don't think you'll find this combo in any manuals though? I'm still :lol: ing that this even works.
Excellent. Does it seem stable? Laugh at me but if I can safely mount my 60 and 1919a4 on the M1917a1 mount then that makes a very strong case for me to purchase one. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Get a 1917A1 HH!

The one I have in that picture was borrowed. I am looking for a 1917A1 myself now. The M2 is just too low and I don't like laying in the dirt.

Make sure you get an 1917A1 and not a 1917 tripod. The 1917 has no traverse.

·
Registered
312 Posts
tripods

IMO you will be wasting your money if you invest in a m2 tripod. The T&E is so sloppy by design accurate fire is next to impossible. The 1917A1 has micro elevation and traverse and will put bullets out there much more accurately. However if you just want to sling lead the M2 is much lighter and is more affordable.
Be careful some people will try to sell you an early 1917 tripod which has fine elevation adjustment only. The 1917A1 has micro elevation and traverse.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
...Make sure you get an 1917A1 and not a 1917 tripod. The 1917 has no traverse.
...Be careful some people will try to sell you an early 1917 tripod which has fine elevation adjustment only. The 1917A1 has micro elevation and traverse.
Whoa! If someone wants to sell you a 1917 tripod for the same price as a 1917A1 tripod, please contact me ASAP. I'm here for you.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Whoa! If someone wants to sell you a 1917 tripod for the same price as a 1917A1 tripod, please contact me ASAP. I'm here for you.
Agreed I would take a bunch at that price! I have been looking a long time for one 1917 tripod and can't find it but it is out there somewhere.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
You mean like this one parked in my living room with the Westy on her?:rofl::lol::D:wavey::eyecrazy::thanks:

:lol:

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Um, no. You are lucky I didn't post a video of me dancing nekked drinking Guinness and Smoking cigars with it.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Thats normal.... for an actual WW1 1917 cradle:D

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Is that elevation knob normal? I don't think that I have seen one that size before.
Well, while I see if I can't take better pics of the 1917 pod, here is a pic of the one Rick and I shot off of at San Quentin a few years ago. You can see the black paint worn off the large, aluminum elevating wheel.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Ok you had to go there didn't you Matt :nutkick: well here are some of the girls so there!
1917 tripod.jpg 1917 tripod data plate.jpg

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Sure Russ, just steal my thunder showing off your 1917 AND 1918 tripods. YOU STINK! And you need to post a better pic of your tripod display.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Sorry the pictures suck and my shop is dark I will try to get better pictures someday when I learn how I am just amazed I could post them here at all lol. Next time I am home I will put some of the ladies on them as well :cool: I thought everyone had a 1918 and a 1917 tripod no?

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Which One is Chloe ??:rofl:
That is cold Dan :blackeye: for those wondering who Chloe is I came down to Philly to help my daughter and the son in law with their first home (train wreck) and somebody decided my van needed some artwork so they painted the name Chloe down the side in black oil base paint with a brush! I told the wife she was out and Chloe was my new girl fiend but thought tattooing her name was impractical because like the wife she too would age and then have to be replaced as well :tongue: I had to have a little fun with it since it was all I could do?
The wife didn't find it funny imagine that?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts