1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 1919a4 .308 will not pick a round out of the TZ Izzy links. The top cover extractor spring was bent a little more, that did not help, headspace is fine. It looks like the extractor is sliding over the case. The rounds are about 2.75 OAL, I will be getting more at 2.80 or whatever the feedway tray opening is, and will also try and not push the rounds to far into the links, as I was pushing them in until the case just sticks out of the front of the links. Anyone have anything else to try. I am having the build look at it also next week, but want to try and see if it is something else. Thanks, Jerod

·
Registered
187 Posts
Are you using .308 ammo, or 7.62 NATO ammo?

I found that standard .308 Ammo did not work in my gun, I got a smoking deal on a couple of cases of 150 grain hunting ammo, (Pointed Soft Point Winchester) and it was too short to feed properly. If I'd built a spacer to put at the front of the feedtray, it might have worked, but I ended up selling it off, and getting some 7.62 ammo instead.

I suspect this might be your problem.

NS

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1919a4

It is 7.62 FMJ and tracer. I reloaded them, but had them OAL at 2.74, I am doing more and going to put them at 2.8. I tried a few at the mil length same problem. Thanks, Jerod

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Seating depth can remain a problem, even with mil spec OAL. While at the range, if you have a belt not extracting, pull 3-4 rounds back a hair and try again. If that makes a difference, you know that's your probable solution. Used to find that with a lot of guys who brought their newly purchased AA guns to our old So Cal shoots.

I don't keep the proper mil spec OAL in my head, but one thing you can do is just see how much for and aft movement there is with a loose round in the center of the feedway. You can adjust your loads long if that becomes necessary. It should be pretty snug.

Last thing, look at the actual milled hook on the extractor body, that grabs the case rim. I've seen a couple of these where one side is worn, making the profile asymmetric. If that happens, the extractor is scrap metal. That was no big deal back when they were $35-$45, but a much more expensive replacement these days.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1919a4

I know mil spec is OAL of 2.8, but I think I will use a micometer and measure the distance in the feed area and load them at that measurment, but will try pulling the bullets out of the belt a little first. Thanks, Jerod

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
How many times can it be said?

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
As mentioned above, you can try fitting a shim across front of feedway to be able to shoot these loaded ones in case you do not have a mag fed 7.62 to use them out of. If you find your extractor hook is worn or damaged replacement hooks and new springs are about to restore/rebuild your extractor.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
If your ammo is a bit too short, don't go tearing them down and re-seating them. It's not necessary and just works the brass more than it needs to be. Find a brass or steel bit of shim stock that just fits between the front stop and the bullet with no slop back and forth. Shape it to fit. Don't forget the little bend to keep from binding the belt.
Clean the stop's surface with acetone or mineral spirits and temporarily hot glue the shim in place.
Easiest way is to put a tiny line of glue on the shim, slip it into place.
Put on leather gloves and run a torch over that shim lightly then strongly, firmly clamp it it down til it cools.
All done.
Shoot up that too short ammo. Reload it to proper length next time.

If you're worried about appearances, use steel and park it after sizing and bending. Nobody will ever know.
When you don't want it on there, just peel it off cold. You'll never get ALL the oil off the stop's face, so it will come off fairly easy.
I've used this trick a few times and it always works. :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1919a4

I have plenty of other .308 rifles to use the shorter ammo in. I have loaded some at 2.8030 as that is what the feedway opening is, and is just a hair short so the tips do not bind up, will let you know how that goes. The builder used wolf .308 and worked great so it has to be the OAL. Thanks, Jerod

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
OAL of 2.8030??? Wow! If you gotta get that close for a 1919 - I'd take up fishing instead. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1919a4

I loaded longer rounds during reloading and it runs great, just need more ammo. Thanks, Jerod

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
There you go. Glad it proved that simple.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts