1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone so I just purchased the a6 kit from apex and am finally wanting to make the dream of a 1919 a reality, but unfortunately I have to hunt down a barrel, does the a4 work with the flash hider or do I need to find a actual a6 Barrel?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Find an a6. Call Ravenna Armory, he’s a member here. Iirc he had some for sale not long ago. Other guys too may have one.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Hey everyone so I just purchased the a6 kit from apex and am finally wanting to make the dream of a 1919 a reality, but unfortunately I have to hunt down a barrel, does the a4 work with the flash hider or do I need to find a actual a6 Barrel?
I am not exactly sure what the question is regarding the flash hider. The flash hidder for the M1919A4 and A6 do not screw on to the barrel. The 1919A6 uses a completely different barrel jacket that has a barrel bearing screwed on to the end that the bipod slides over and the flash hider attaches to with a clamp. The flash hider goes by part number 7162303. Another flash hider is mentioned in a technical manual for the M1919A4 but no part or stock number is shown. I would have had to be screwed on to the jacket in place of the barrel bearing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Armorer I was unsure of what all was different between the a6 and a4 as far as the barrel was concerned. And I thought the flash hider did screw on so thanks for letting me know. this is my first build and have basically dove off the deep end hoping for good results.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I will point out that the USGI kit differs from the Israeli ones, and parts are not necessarily compatible. You can't mix them. Perhaps someone can post a pic of the two set ups .

·
BeltFed GURU
4,271 Posts
IIRC the GI A6 barrel is a bit longer than an Izzy A6 barrel because of the GI bipod extension that screws into the jacket then the booster added to it ....... The Izzy A6 is a normal jacket length with the flash hider being the booster bearing body and cone ,they designed their pod to slide over and can be fixed at any point on the jacket that has a hole to accept the spring loaded fixing pin ..... in a number of ways the Izzy pod is the more flexible design and used a normal length barrel re- contoured to lighten it .....This is not a definitive answer just what i remember .......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IIRC the GI A6 barrel is a bit longer than an Izzy A6 barrel because of the GI bipod extension that screws into the jacket then the booster added to it ....... The Izzy A6 is a normal jacket length with the flash hider being the booster bearing body and cone ,they designed their pod to slide over and can be fixed at any point on the jacket that has a hole to accept the spring loaded fixing pin ..... in a number of ways the Izzy pod is the more flexible design and used a normal length barrel re- contoured to lighten it .....This is not a definitive answer just what i remember .......
now I got my a6 kit in and am going through trying to make sure everything is there, what does the a6 booster look like because I believe im missing it unless it is built into the flash hider.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It does I just messaged apex to see if they can scrounge up a booster they said the kit was complete less the flash hider, barrel, and bipod so the booster should have been included.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah ok I thought the booster clipped into the hider but we will see what they say because I already have a ticket for them sending the wrong butt stock anyways.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
The booster is in the flash hider , but it is not a separate piece . It is the crimped potion just aft of where the cone starts to flare out .
Chris

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,034 Posts
Here are some break down images I did long ago. First is a complete front end for a post-WWII USGI A6, less the barrel, and a standard A4 front end along side.

Next is a comparison of the WWII A6 jacket, bearing and booster parts compared to the post-war jacket bearing and flash hider. There are minor changes in the clip for the booster or flash hider, clearly shown here.

There is also a difference in the legs of the war vs post-war bipod, so I am showing a comparison of that as well. Post war legs are what you will find easily, whereas the war period legs are scarce and expensive. Essentially they just reversed the inner and outer tubes, but the clamp screw size changed as well. Post war leg is the one below, war time leg on top in this image. 100_2582 (1280x432).jpg 100_2599-2600 - (1280x266).jpg 1919A6 Bipod Leg Comparison (1024x492).jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are some break down images I did long ago. First is a complete front end for a post-WWII USGI A6, less the barrel, and a standard A4 front end along side.

Next is a comparison of the WWII A6 jacket, bearing and booster parts compared to the post-war jacket bearing and flash hider. There are minor changes in the clip for the booster or flash hider, clearly shown here.

There is also a difference in the legs of the war vs post-war bipod, so I am showing a comparison of that as well. Post war legs are what you will find easily, whereas the war period legs are scarce and expensive. Essentially they just reversed the inner and outer tubes, but the clamp screw size changed as well. Post war leg is the one below, war time leg on top in this image. View attachment 99550 View attachment 99551 View attachment 99552
I'm going to see if I can get the wartime booster if possible but I already ordered a flash hider just in case it doesn't work out, but thank you for the pics that helps explain things alot better.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,034 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welp sounds like I'll give them a call tomorrow and get one on the way depending.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
IIRC the GI A6 barrel is a bit longer than an Izzy A6 barrel because of the GI bipod extension that screws into the jacket then the booster added to it ....... The Izzy A6 is a normal jacket length with the flash hider being the booster bearing body and cone...
The A6 barrel is not a different length than the A4 barrel. The A6 barrel jacket is shorter to allow the gun to be the same over all length. The only difference between barrels is that the A6 has been lightened by turning a taper on the outside diameter and has had 7/8" wrenching flats added to the front bearing area. I turned my A4 barrel on a lathe to match A6 dimensions just fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts