1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Watercooled Addict
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, building a full auto 1928 colt commercial a well respected builder told me that the 7.65 extractor cam would not work for 8mm. Anyone had experience with this? I know of at least one other argentine that is currently running in 8mm and it has the original extractor cam in it. If I need to replace it, now is the time, but replace it with what? Any help would be appreciated.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
Hmmmm

I have no experience with the 7.65 Argentine in the Brownings, but I am not aware that there is any difference in the extractor or the cams for that caliber. I don't recall what caliber lobo shoots his 1928 semi in. Might be -06 and it might be 8mm, but I think he has said that it has 1919 internals. Are you using the 1928 internals or 1919? You might want to call OOW next week for their input, but I'd be surprised if there is a different cam. I have a 1928 LSP and bottom plate. The extractor cam looks just like early 1917 ones I have on Westinghouse LSPs, with the little "hook" on the inside edge. Same on early 1919s. On (what I think are) later production 1919s, the front cam has a re shaped lug that is flat on the rear facing surface, with no hook. I'll get one of my Westinghouse plates out to compare side by side. Maybe I am missing something.

By the way, I assume we are both talking about the front cam with the right angle lug, not the extractor FEED cam which is the flat, rear one.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
I think Mark has your answer there. But for the academic's sake, I got the two parts together. Sure enough, the 1928 cam is a beefier profile than the 30-06 cam, though the basic shape is similar. I don't have the means to accurately measure the working surfaces to see if it matters much, but experience is the best way and you already have that answer.

I do not have a proper 1928 7.65 extractor, and I am now wondering if it is different in any important dimensions. I need to get a complete 1928 kit one day. I just have the LSP/bottom plate, a water jacket and two new bolts! Be sure to keep us up to date on the project!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Measurements on the 1928 Argentine

If you can show me what you what measured I have an armorers chest for the 1928 Argentine with several extractors etc. Bought it knowing I had an original 1917A1 on the way and the only parts I understand are different between the 2 is the latch and top cover and sights- the rest is vintage 1917/1919. Email me picks with points of interest.. a, b c .... and I will remit measurements from the chest.

Mark

·
Watercooled Addict
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, Shane at oow was the one who told me the cams were different. I did not think to ask him what to replace it with. I have a IZZY 1919 kit I am using for some spares. I have a 1917 backplate and a 1928 backplate. I am going to mill the hole in the rsp so I can use the captive colt spring and the nickel colt internals, but I will be able to switch backplates and run the izzy internals also. When he told me about the cams I just assumed I would rob the one off the 1919, but then I started thinking these were .308 guns and did not know if they were modified from original in anyway either. I have a close friend running an argentine kit in 8mm, and it runs good, but it will usually have a hiccup if you try to run a whole 250 round belt without stopping. Shane told me some argentines run 8mm and some dont like to with the original cam. Just figured it would be my luck to have one of the ones that did not like to and I would have to change it after the gun is built. I cant say for sure what to change it to. It is not like any of the things were originally made for 8mm. (At least not that are common enough to steal parts from). Thanks for the interest and I will post some pictures as the build progresses.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
Israel did not change the cams for 308. You could swap the 1919 cam in there if you want to play it safe. OOW may have cams in stock, and Sarco might too, if you want to avoid stripping one off an LSP. You will need to talk to Tor at OOW. Cams are not on their list, but he has them at the shows, or did 6-months back. The gals in the office don't know about them. Trust me, I asked on Thursday as I need two feed cams!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts