1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got a 1928 kit yesterday from a local guy, and my question is who makes a right side plate for them? Iv built a 1919 myself and called Kmp and they said they could possibly make one but they havent ever done one. Does anyone know what these kits go for these days? condition is good with considerable metal finish wear but in good serviceable condition as a build and refinish. any help would be great as i havent been able to come up with much information.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I got my side plate from Ohio Ordnance Works. Not sure if they have anymore. Couple people on this site were also offering them. I'm sure they will chime in if they have any. Good luck. Wish list had picked up another one when Ohio had them.
Big44maghunter - Brad

·
Premium Member
6,936 Posts
I have a OOW side plate for the 1928 Colt and the machined internals, semi trigger and sear to match if you don't have any luck. Russ

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
side plate

ya ohio said they could but there very backed up and could be as long as 1-2 years to get to my order. thats a bit too long for me. the kit cost me $1750 and im hoping thats not bad considering my 1919 kit was around $1120

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
side plate

ya ohio said they could but there very backed up and could be as long as 1-2 years to get to my order. thats a bit too long for me. the kit cost me $1750 and im hoping thats not bad considering my 1919 kit was around $1120
Hey i would be interested in the parts. how much for the parts. would you consider selling just the side plate?

·
Premium Member
6,936 Posts
were the parts in your kit already machined for their side plate and trigger and sear?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
were the parts in your kit already machined for their side plate and trigger and sear?
no they are not but i machined them for my 1919 as i have access to a machine shop from my father. what do these parts kit\ completed guns go for these days like on gun broker, not that im going to sell tho .

·
Premium Member
6,936 Posts
Feel free to call anytime to discuss five 8 five- 7 four nine- 888 zero Russ

·
Registered
145 Posts
1928 water cooled

I sold a complete kit (parts kit only, no semi parts) on gunbroker about a year ago and it brought $2250.00 on a no reserve auction, so sounds like you did good on your purchase.
I just got a 100% plate from Halo about a month ago. Don't think they are making them on a regular basis but Michael made one up for me. Halo's denial islands are proprietary and not the same as others so be sure you know what sideplate you are getting before machining your internals. Good luck with the build!

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
I sold a complete kit (parts kit only, no semi parts) on gunbroker about a year ago and it brought $2250.00 on a no reserve auction, so sounds like you did good on your purchase.
I just got a 100% plate from Halo about a month ago. Don't think they are making them on a regular basis but Michael made one up for me. Halo's denial islands are proprietary and not the same as others so be sure you know what sideplate you are getting before machining your internals. Good luck with the build!
Important note on the denial island on Halo's 1928 plate. That is indeed a proprietary design, but rights to it belong to Rogue Island Arsenal, not Halo. It is used on our in-house builds, whether under Halo or Rogue Island marque. The reason we agreed to use it on the 1928 plates is for the sake of the original Colt's internals, which we feel deserved the lighter machining required. The design should actually be credited to a member of the forum back in the old days, Gary LaVarnway, known here as machinehead2. Have not been able to reach him in years, sadly, but he passed on permission to me for this island and I consider myself the keeper of its use. It will always be Gary's island, and it is not to be copied without prior approval, as per my agreement with him.

Since I share shop space with Halo, and provided the original parts and specs to Michael for development of the 1928 plates, I can heartily recommend them. We had acquired material specifically for these over a year ago. While at present we have no more of the stock for these plates- which require slightly taller material than a standard Browning plate- they may still be available on special order. Will take a while longer than standard plates due to the material required, and these are a more expensive plate due to complexity. But they can still be done. as per a recent discussion with Michael.

Edit: Worth mentioning, I will have a nice 1928 kit available for sale shortly, if anyone has an interest. Complete kit only, not separating.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Lucky#13, PM sent. :D
CaptMax

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Rollin Jerry here. Is that the old three island style from way back when? or is it a different style. I'm guessing my 17 is going to have your style of island. Question will my AM ARMS/DELTA M1919A4 three island internals work with your sideplate?
Jerry

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Rollin Jerry here. Is that the old three island style from way back when? or is it a different style. I'm guessing my 17 is going to have your style of island. Question will my AM ARMS/DELTA M1919A4 three island internals work with your sideplate?
Jerry
Jerry- Yes, the 17 will have the proprietary island, as do all builds out of here with rare exception. If the old AM Arms/Delta is the one I think- the standard single island like most plate makers use still- then the bolt and barrel extension will work, they just have more material removed than required. The lock frame will work with one simple added cut. This is a two-island design, the lock frame having it's very own!

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Well at least it isn't the "three mile denial island" design. :rofl:
If it was there for sure would be a melt down.
CaptMax

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey I just received my 1928 kit for OOW today. They lost this kit and recently found it under other stuff. I guess I'm just lucky but this kit seems to be in great shape. Lots of Colt marked parts. They sent me 2 LHSP. One has a small crack in the top left portion due to a slight bend but more than salvageable. The other has wear but in good shape. This kit cost me $1615 shipped. I don't think I got hurt by any means. I'll post pictures shortly and by all means tell me what you think about building it. Refinish the whole thing or not? We shall see.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Extra 1928 Colt sideplate

Hey depending on what I do with this kit, I may end up selling the extra LSP. Not sure if I'll use the cracked one or the good one. The cracked one has a much better finish and isn't stripped. If I do end up selling one of them, is anybody interested? What would be the going price for such?

·
Premium Member
6,936 Posts
One of the members here called me from battonrouge, LA. Asking about my side plate, feel free to call me back since I lost your contact info when the new laptop died. Russ

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
how do i get in contact to talk about getting a 1928 right side plate made from HALO?
You can contact Mike from Halo here: info @ halomfg DOT com

Be patient as he is out of town now, but should be back in by the end of the week. If you can't get a response by next week, let me know and I'll flag him down.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts