1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Might be a dummy question but are these trunnions interchangeable with a 1919? Say for instance I wanted to build a totally incorrect and historically inaccurate semi-auto water cooled out of an A4 kit, this assembly, and a 7.62 turned to correct OD?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Might be a dummy question but are these trunnions interchangeable with a 1919? Say for instance I wanted to build a totally incorrect and historically inaccurate semi-auto water cooled out of an A4 kit, this assembly, and a 7.62 turned to correct OD?
Yes you could, but it wouldn't be cost effective to start with an 1919A4 kit. It would make more sense to get one of these OOW front ends and start from there. You should be able to get most, if not all, the needed pieces and parts right here. Other than the plates and internals, the rest of the A4 kit would be useless to a water cooled build.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Yes they are. Many 1928 Colt water jackets have been used to create 1917 and 1917A1 type guns using 1919A4 parts kits as starters.

·
Registered
233 Posts
You guys never cease to amaze me, so much knowledge given freely if one asks.

Thanks.

Makes more sense the way you describe it, get the jacket and build the gun around it as opposed to buying a complete kit.

·
Premium Member
6,928 Posts
Keep in mind the only real difference is the muzzle gland, the Colt 28's were larger and had a different thread pitch so you would not be able to put a cone or beer can flash hider on it but Rick at BMG parts had a muzzle gland made for these to make it look like a 1917a1. The Colt 28 top covers and sights were also different and much lower profile than the 1917a1's.
That being said many have used this method to build a water cooled without the expense of the usual build and OOW had these at the fall creek for 350.00 and they went fast.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
That looks like a Great price for jackets !!! As long as your Happy with "as is"... I read the part about dents and corrosion, things start getting intresting when you want to fix that.. If you can hand pick, that would be the best way to go.. See what small parts are missing..Most can be had, but the front sight is another story.. I've already had one guy ask about front sights, not cheap... I just wish that deal was avalible about 10 yrs ago:(:( ...Lou

·
Premium Member
6,928 Posts
That looks like a Great price for jackets !!! As long as your Happy with "as is"... I read the part about dents and corrosion, things start getting intresting when you want to fix that.. If you can hand pick, that would be the best way to go.. See what small parts are missing..Most can be had, but the front sight is another story.. I've already had one guy ask about front sights, not cheap... I just wish that deal was avalible about 10 yrs ago:(:( ...Lou
Me too Lou I paid 500-650 for mine from OOW but they are down to scraps at this point and they are all missing the small parts and have dents etc. so guys may want to really consider your econo jackets which would be more cost effective in the long run if one really wants a 1917a1.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What does one of your jackets run and what is included for the price? I read the portion about dents and corrosion and I am curious about other options.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What does one of your jackets run and what is included for the price? I read the portion about dents and corrosion and I am curious about other options.
Lou,

Me too! I'm interested to know more about what you offer and what would be the remaining hard parts to purchase.

Thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Me too Lou I paid 500-650 for mine from OOW but they are down to scraps at this point and they are all missing the small parts and have dents etc. so guys may want to really consider your econo jackets which would be more cost effective in the long run if one really wants a 1917a1.
+1 on what toolmanm203 is saying. I bought a couple of jackets a while ago (long story) from OOW which were hand picked. Even back then it was extremely hard for them to come up with the two that met my minimum expectations.

I still think that at the price of $299 for 5 or $350 each it can be a great deal. Keep these observations in mind when calculating the real cost and limitations of use:

You will need to procure a steam tube.
Missing all small parts.
Front muzzle gland threads maybe striped or cross threaded. Many have also staked bushings from previous repairs.
You will need to procure a muzzle gland.
May have damage or missing front sight.
Wear on trunnion, Argentinian jackets have a solid brass trunnion and so do some of the Colt jackets if they have been arsenal refinished during their life.
Tube can have multiple dents, scrapes, pitting, or all of the above. Assume it will not be suitable for bluing and some/all imperfections maybe noticeable after parkerization.

Having said that Lou can be a big help with these but there are costs involve to include shipping costs both ways.

Again if you are building a display gun, an inexpensive shooter, or have the time and means to work on these yourself these may be perfect. Not trying to discourage anyone but like Toolmanm203 said consider Lou's econo jacket if you want to wind up with a gun having a real nice looking jacket at a reasonable price.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
I checked that once, and they appear to be identical.

I hope soo..

Pulled the trigger on one of these last night.....hope to get a good one.

·
Premium Member
6,928 Posts
Are the steam tubes the same between the 1917A1 and 1928?
Yes they are the same I have checked and Numerich is the best source for them at 35 or 40 each unless you want to go the gunjoker route there are a few listed there for the bargain price of 100-175 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've got to say, some of you guys had me worried! I regretted not buying a second 28 kit when they had them so I jumped on one of these when I saw them. Not sure if my expectations are low or what but I'm extremely happy with the one I just received! It's better than the one I built my gun with. This one's even a Colt, my other is not. A few very minor dents/gouges but overall great condition in my opinion. All threads look great also. I should have bought more, I wanted this one for a dummy build on a vehicle but it's too good for that!

Big44maghunter - Brad

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've got to say, some of you guys had me worried! I regretted not buying a second 28 kit when they had them so I jumped on one of these when I saw them. Not sure if my expectations are low or what but I'm extremely happy with the one I just received! It's better than the one I built my gun with. This one's even a Colt, my other is not. A few very minor dents/gouges but overall great condition in my opinion. All threads look great also. I should have bought more, I wanted this one for a dummy build on a vehicle but it's too good for that!

Big44maghunter - Brad
I ordered two of them. Haven't got them yet tho. Did yours have the sight in good shape?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts