1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend got the urge to get another JD and found this one in Ohio. It got delivered Friday so I checked it out Saturday. I won't be restoring this one and I'm okay with that! KevinT

Land vehicle Tractor Vehicle Agricultural machinery Motor vehicle Land vehicle Tractor Vehicle Motor vehicle Agricultural machinery

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Kevin, that is really cool looking. Kind of an "Orchard" model.
I'm going to tell your friend how nice it would look if you restored it unless you pay me some "hush money".
Just kidding! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
CaptMax

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
When i see these at the threshing shows in MN, they have steel wheels.

Nice looking tractor.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
...know the feeling...

If you have one already...got to have another one for a 'spare'. And then another one...and another one that is 'too good' to pass up. Most of you'se guys know exactly what I'm saying.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Grew up on a farm in Kansas. We pretty much ran green (John Deere) for main line tractors but they were the modern "high speed" engine types. Always thought the 2 cylinder JDs were the coolest after I watched a 60 JD tractor in a tractor pull in the 1960's. So when I was able, I purchased a 1935 (so called "brass tag" second year of "A" production) for $400 in 1984 or '85. Restored it in my one car garage and then later sold it (no place to keep it). But to get to the point there was an old vintage tractor junk yard in Clay Center, KS (about 30 mi N/NW of Ft. Riley) that had all sorts of old tractors (JD, IHC, Allis Chalmers, Oliver are among the ones that I remember). I went there one Saturday in 1985 (I lived about 30 mi. away at the time) to get some parts for my "A" and the owner was junking stuff out. He had a crane with a wrecking ball and then he alternated with a electro-magnet to pick up the pieces. When I got there he had just destroyed by repeatedly dropping the wrecking ball on a line of 6-8 JDs including at least 2-3 "D's," a couple of "A's," and a "B" or two. About made me cry because to me it was senseless. At the time, all of these were just beginning to be collectible. Most of them were complete including sheet metal, carbs and air cleaners. On the "D" you can always tell one when they are apart because they were "chain drive" sort of like a motor grader. (I think the later "R" was also chain drive. The chains (one on each side) was a BIG roller chain that run inside the gear case in oil from the transmission to each side's "bull gear" that was attached to the rear axle/wheel.)

·
Registered
695 Posts
My great grand father really loved horses to farm with but grandfather and father much preferred the tractors.
What an improvement moving from a horse to a tractor. When we cleaned out the carriage shed at the farm I bet we threw out 75 or more wagon wheels of all sizes and piled them up in the woods where they rotted to the soil.
Very sharp looking D!
Steamer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts