1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a value on this rifle, a customer bought it in and want's to sell it. I have no idea on value. It has been modified by Buba. Bore is poor. Are parts available any where to restore or is it a lost case.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
WT_? Some people should NEVER touch tools! Greg Amishbob is our resident Johnson expert so hopefully he will chime in.

Reactions: Rory

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WT_? Some people should NEVER touch tools! Greg Amishbob is our resident Johnson expert so hopefully he will chime in.
Pretty sad. I've wanted one of these for a long time but don't know that this is the one

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Based on what I have seen over the last 15 years watching for decent deal on a nice one, Parts are pretty much unobtanium. that one looks like it has major issues. Hard to tell, but barrel would "appear" to not be original. Sell off the good parts - if you can get it cheap enough.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Pretty sad. I've wanted one of these for a long time but don't know that this is the one
I would pass on that one Greg they do come up and you will drive yourself nuts with a project that will never quite be right.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Russ is right. You could maybe put it back but it wouldn't be "right", if that would bother you. It won't be easy finding parts nowadays and it will be expensive to restore. But I see $2500-$3K in parts there on your bench. I'd like to see the front end of the barrel. Does it still have the original front sight and bayonet lug?

·
12,293 Posts
Based on what I have seen over the last 15 years watching for decent deal on a nice one,
me too. What I’ve learned from that search is that I may just be far too cheap or not want one that badly.

maybe if I just get to shoot one it will cure that thirst.
All that said, I’d pass on this one unless it was dang cheap.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Russ is right. You could maybe put it back but it wouldn't be "right", if that would bother you. It won't be easy finding parts nowadays and it will be expensive to restore. But I see $2500-$3K in parts there on your bench. I'd like to see the front end of the barrel. Does it still have the original front sight and bayonet lug?
Thanks for your input, no bayonet lug and not a military style front sight. I think the barrel might be a aftermarket. It looks like some that Numrich shows (out of stock of corse ) I can probably get it for $1000 but I want to give him a fair price for it with a fair mark up for me. If I have to part it out that takes time to list and sell the parts. So if I paid him $1500 I should be safe and maybe just hang it on the wall for a while.

·
Registered
531 Posts
That barrel looks identical to the polished and blued barrel in my Winfield Arms sporterized Johnson. On mine the receiver is also polished and blued. Based on the pictures the receiver and fore end appear unmolested but the buttstock is toast. God only knows why all those holes were drilled in the bolt stop plate. Parts are difficult to find but if it could be purchased reasonably it would be worth picking up.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
You should be ok giving $1500. I paid that for the last stripped receiver that I bought. And there are a couple parts there I wouldn't mind having if you parted it out

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You should be ok giving $1500. I paid that for the last stripped receiver that I bought. And there are a couple parts there I wouldn't mind having if you parted it out
Thanks Amish-bob
I try to be fair to people but I have to remember that I’m in this as a business and not give the store away

·
12,293 Posts
Thanks Amish-bob
I try to be fair to people but I have to remember that I’m in this as a business and not give the store away
you are buying a project and a lot of work. i would go lower.

or offer a fee to broker the whole rifle.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
586 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

·
Registered
3,129 Posts

I feel like whoever built that is some suer evil genius. The kind of guy who's a super smart inventor/gunbuilder who got scorned by a pretty girl at work. Now hes using his powers of gunsmithing to create horrible monstrosities.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok just to let everyone know I did make a deal on this rifle, I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet. A couple of you have asked to buy it and if I go that route I'll give you a shot in order that I was asked.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts