1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like a great lot. The only thing I would check is all the mixed caliber parts. Gun it’s self should have all the same caliber parts inside, otherwise there will be functionality problems.
What parts would I need to convert to .308?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Are you sure it doesn't have a .308 barrel already? As it sits, that gun wont work at all in .30-06.

****, I missed the 8mm part. You'll need the 308 barrel and front spacer.
What do I need to make it work in 30-06? It came with a 30-06 barrel and I was told the bolt will work for 30-06

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Are you interested in the historical aspect of .30-06? If you just want something to shoot, you'll find plenty of people willing to trade 7.62x51 for .30-06.
I’d be open to trading absolutely. I kinda have buyers remorse (maybe I’m overthinking it) because I’m not sure if I overpaid for the gun? I bought it as an investment and didn’t do enough research. I heard DLO guns are some of the best on the market, but this one is Israeli marked and now I fear it’s not as desirable because of the Israeli markings and it’s chambered in 8MM? And that’s why I got a good price? Do y’all think it will retain its value and how hard would it be to sale it in the future? Thanks in advance. I’m learning

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You did fine. Most of the value is its registration as a transferable machinegun. I wouldn't say everything else is a bonus, but for comparison, you can get semi-autos for $3-5k. The registered DLO side plate alone is worth more than $10k. Not sure how much more, because you never see unbuilt side plates for sale anymore.

The big barrier to selling is the class 3 transfer. The market isn't going away unless registration of machineguns gets opened up again somehow.

Also, now I'm confused, because you were asking about converting to .308 earlier. 7.62x51 is the military version of .308. The brass is thicker at the base to allow for longer headspace, for machine gun use, but most people treat the calibers as interchangeable in firearms headspaced safe for .308. The 1919 has field adjustable headspace, so not a problem.
I guess I’m more concerned with it’s resale value because of the Israeli markings. As buyers my not want that and would want more of a WWII looking 1919a4?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I’ve been searching online for any DLO examples remanufactured using an Israeli parts kit, and I can’t find anything. Have y’all ever seen one like mine before on here? Morphys said DLO made it and after inspecting it, it looks like it it’s in superb condition. Hardly ever fired and the parts are excellent. It’s like new. Just wondering if I have an anomaly

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
I wouldn’t say you have an anomaly. While I don’t know Doug personally from what I understand he did build 1919s using Israeli kits. Maybe it just depended on what kits he had on hand when assembling his plate guns I’m not sure. But they are out there in the 7.62 X 51 configuration. I know where 2 of them are not counting yours.

As others noted ya did good On your purchase. Enjoy this site, I certainly have and I’m new to the 1919s as well.
Thanks Mark. A couple guys from here PMed me and said it was built by Doug because of his distinct rivets.

On another note, I’m considering reverting this back to original USGI, such as getting rid of the Israeli markings ( “U” and “7.62” ) and filling in the hole on the left side. Who is capable of doing this professionally? And how much would that run? Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I've done a number of this type of rebuild. Its a full teardown and re rivet. I fill the extra hole with a rivet and it blends in pretty seamlessly. Depending on the 7.62 markings, they feather out pretty easy .

If you want to go full 30.06 and have the 30.06 trunion and bracket, I'd reccomend just swapping the kit over entirely.

Figure 500 on the rebuild plus return shipping
Thank you for the info! To be clear, my Israeli marked DLO won’t shoot 30-06 as it is right now? It came with a 30-06 barrel and lots of 30-06 ammo. And from what I gather on here it seemed replacing the barrel and appropriate cartridge feeders was all I needed to switch calibers? Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Your gun will shoot 30-06 no problem. If you want it to look US GI, you need a new LSP and trunnion.
LSP?

Also, the 30-06 barrel it came with is an a6 barrel. Will that work on an a4? Do I need anything else besides the 30-06 booster?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Has Morphys shipped your 1919 to your dealer yet?
It arrived last week! All paper work is signed and I paid the tax stamp yesterday.
With the ATFs updated e-form process they are saying wait times should go down to 4 months. I hope that becomes reality.
I’m about to buy some more accessories and some .308 ammo. I saw on sgammo.com they had some wolf steel case at $300 for 580 rds.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Very Cool. They haven't even shipped my gun yet. When you first get the gun, I'd stick with good brass American .308 ammo. That way if there are any issues, you'll know its not the ammo. Once it runs like a watch with LC, then switch to the underpowered dirty ammo.
Roger that. Also I have a question. I ordered a NOS Israeli 7.62 barrel today and my 1919a4 came with the correct booster. My question is which spacers do I need?
Here is a pic of my 1919a4 trunnion. Currently it has the 8MM barrel and 8MM front cartridge stop. I found front and rear spacers here. Do I need to order both front and rear?

Machine Wood Bumper Auto part Engineering

Wood Gas Thigh Human leg Elbow

1 - 20 of 23 Posts