1919 A4 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
What do I need to make it work in 30-06? It came with a 30-06 barrel and I was told the bolt will work for 30-06
From what I can see in the auction's pictures, this weapon has an Izzy 7.62 NATO bolt installed. The Izzy bolt will not work with 30.06 ammo.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Well that sucks…what is Izzy?
It is Israeli and they converted our USGI 30-06 bolts by opening up the feed lips just a few thousands for 7.62x51 (308) that being said some Izzy modified bolts will feed 30-06 just fine and some won't. A{PEX has the front guides and barrels are all over and not that hard to find.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Are you interested in the historical aspect of .30-06? If you just want something to shoot, you'll find plenty of people willing to trade 7.62x51 for .30-06.
I’d be open to trading absolutely. I kinda have buyers remorse (maybe I’m overthinking it) because I’m not sure if I overpaid for the gun? I bought it as an investment and didn’t do enough research. I heard DLO guns are some of the best on the market, but this one is Israeli marked and now I fear it’s not as desirable because of the Israeli markings and it’s chambered in 8MM? And that’s why I got a good price? Do y’all think it will retain its value and how hard would it be to sale it in the future? Thanks in advance. I’m learning

·
Registered
50 Posts
You did fine. Most of the value is its registration as a transferable machinegun. I wouldn't say everything else is a bonus, but for comparison, you can get semi-autos for $3-5k. The registered DLO side plate alone is worth more than $10k. Not sure how much more, because you never see unbuilt side plates for sale anymore.

The big barrier to selling is the class 3 transfer. The market isn't going away unless registration of machineguns gets opened up again somehow.

Also, now I'm confused, because you were asking about converting to .308 earlier. 7.62x51 is the military version of .308. The brass is thicker at the base to allow for longer headspace, for machine gun use, but most people treat the calibers as interchangeable in firearms headspaced safe for .308. The 1919 has field adjustable headspace, so not a problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You did fine. Most of the value is its registration as a transferable machinegun. I wouldn't say everything else is a bonus, but for comparison, you can get semi-autos for $3-5k. The registered DLO side plate alone is worth more than $10k. Not sure how much more, because you never see unbuilt side plates for sale anymore.

The big barrier to selling is the class 3 transfer. The market isn't going away unless registration of machineguns gets opened up again somehow.

Also, now I'm confused, because you were asking about converting to .308 earlier. 7.62x51 is the military version of .308. The brass is thicker at the base to allow for longer headspace, for machine gun use, but most people treat the calibers as interchangeable in firearms headspaced safe for .308. The 1919 has field adjustable headspace, so not a problem.
I guess I’m more concerned with it’s resale value because of the Israeli markings. As buyers my not want that and would want more of a WWII looking 1919a4?

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I’d be open to trading absolutely. I kinda have buyers remorse (maybe I’m overthinking it) because I’m not sure if I overpaid for the gun? I bought it as an investment and didn’t do enough research. I heard DLO guns are some of the best on the market, but this one is Israeli marked and now I fear it’s not as desirable because of the Israeli markings and it’s chambered in 8MM? And that’s why I got a good price? Do y’all think it will retain its value and how hard would it be to sale it in the future? Thanks in advance. I’m learning
You didn't pay too much. At worst you paid too much too soon and it will even out eventually. Machine guns shouldnt be looked at as investments. The doubling and tripling in price over the last 30 years is not going to happen again. Buy a machine gun because you want one. The 8mm barrel doesnt mean anything. The Izzy mods to the LSP, Topcover, etc are bonuses for someone looking for a 1919 to shoot .308, and those parts work just as well for .30-06.

Enjoy your gun, Morphy's is pretty quick to get the items transferred out, I'm patiently waiting for the Vickers from the same auction :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I guess I’m more concerned with it’s resale value because of the Israeli markings. As buyers my not want that and would want more of a WWII looking 1919a4?
It's not like the gaudy Mossad markings on Tanfoglio pistols. Israel ended up with a bunch of surplus American 1919s in .30-06, converted them to 7.62x51, and put their own markings on them. Those guns have now come back to the USA as parts kits. Of course one that's all original would be worth more, but plenty of people are just looking for shooters, and Israeli parts are ideal for that.

·
Registered
606 Posts
You did good for investment purposes, unlike some NFA items that you want to leave NIB this is a shooter, you can take it out and shoot it as much as you want and in a few years sell it for a profit, but honestly once you shoot it you will not want to part with it.
I got my DLO in 1997 for around 4000.00 and have shot the $hit out of it, what a investment and lots of fun to go along with it.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
The current caliber doesn’t matter.
One of the greatest things about the BMG is that you can change the caliber to whatever ammo you have at the time. That is extremely useful. Also, you have a registered DLO side plate. If you don’t like the Israeli marks on the kit, buy another kit. Build it into anything you like. I like the water cooled 1917/1928 guns personally. I also like 30-06.
Remember 30-06 and 8mm are brothers.
.308 is nothing more than their gay cousin.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The current caliber doesn’t matter.
One of the greatest things about the BMG is that you can change the caliber to whatever ammo you have at the time. That is extremely useful. Also, you have a registered DLO side plate. If you don’t like the Israeli marks on the kit, buy another kit. Build it into anything you like. I like the water cooled 1917/1928 guns personally. I also like 30-06.
Remember 30-06 and 8mm are brothers.
.308 is nothing more than their gay cousin.
We both think of 308 in the same way. It should of never of become a caliber. Here we had good full power rounds that were highly effective.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Try to relax and ride the high of having one kick ass machine gun on the way!

The price looks fine for an auction and shows that there are other people out there willing to pay an almost similar price.

Once you pull the trigger at the range for the first time you’ll forget about all the worries

:cool:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Great gun you did just fine. Hang on to the parts you have and just buy what others you think you need. If you sell or trade something chances are down the road you'll kick yourself because now you want that.
Good luck, stick around and ask questions lots of good people here.

Greg

21 - 40 of 72 Posts