1919 A4 Forums banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Stop the madness.

The 1919a6 barrel is the same length as a 1919a4 barrel.

An a6 barrel will run just fine in an a4.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Matt…
I’m a 4 time 1919a4 owner( including 2 DLO ones and an Israeli kit + Ramo Sideplate build one )….& still learning and by no means an expert. Some random obs…

1. This is your first MG? Wow. Strong…jumping straight into a beltfed dude. Skip the Uzi, sten, Macs, and M16 I see ! Note that beltfeds require a LOT more knowledge , skillz, $, and accessories to run. But…the 1919a4 is the BEST first beltfed to own ! It’s the easiest and cheapest.

2. You did fine on your package @ $18k all in. Nice clean gun, obviously good low risk seller, brand name build , and ton of accessories. You lack only a ground tripod ($350’ish ). You’ll def. want one. The 1917 mounts are super nice but super big/heavy and very expensive. I personally prefer Stand up custom mounts.

3. Your gun will not lose value bc you shoot it. So do so. It’s not like a car putting on miles. Your gun is a parts kit build by DLO. It’s not some all matching serial number original WW2 gun. So shoot it! A lot!

4. parts are widely available and cheap ( for beltfeds!) . You’ll prob want to buy several spare parts.

5. 1st Decide what caliber you want to shoot. I rec’ .308. Always Readily available ammo and Israeli parts.Common caliber. People hear can help you get the necessary parts for the caliber you choose. Be very careful when buying parts as even within a specific caliber there are slight differences in a variety of parts . There are info guides here in the library which show and describe the nuances.

6.Like other posters have said you can choose from a bunch of calibers. I personally converted mine to 54R with Troys kit from Barrel Xchange. He’s the awesome go -to guy for 54R and 762x39 ( which I also have from him ). He also offers “ fixed headspace 54R mods- which I have and LOVE.

7.Learn how to strip the gun. Be very careful with the recoil spring -rod which is embedded within the bolt. Don’t eyeball it. Learn the parts names and functions and what to look for in worn /broken ones. LEARN how to TIME and HEADSPACE the gun. There are various methods. This is a critical skill. Do not shoot your gun until you have verified it’s timing and headspace first! YouTube videos are awesome for all this.

8. Take advantage of the awesome guys here who are 1919 nuts with long histories of troubleshooting these guns. Take and post pics of what you are asking about .

9. resale value ? If you hold your gun for at least a couple yrs (& shoot it a lot !) you’ll make $$$ if you sell it later. MG prices rarely dip significantly -esp in todays inflationary environment. You’ll be fine $ wise on it. Don’t fret over that. Seriously.

10. you better go buy a bunch of bulk ammo to feed your gun. And I mean buy multithousand rounds at a time. When MG owners are talking ammo - it’s an entirely different league than semi shooters. If you are a shooter then you can expect to shoot from a couple thou rnds to 15k rnds a year. At organized mg shoots I routinely go thru 3500 rnds of 54R per day.

11. But a linker and links and some shop buckets. Consider learning how to reload in bulk. 1919s are very forgiving of ammo in general. You don’t need to shoot Hornady thru it! Shoot ancient surplus for cheap. But do learn the differences in maintenance for shooting corrosive ( like my 54R) v non corrosive ammo. Steel case is fine. Go bulk , not fancy !

12. the very best way to learn the gun is to go hang out and shoot it or their 1919 with them. There is no substitute for this. If no owners are in your area then make the effort and go to an organized mg shoot. 1919s are common . 1919 owners are very generous w their knowledge. Lucky13 here on this very board
, not knowing me from Adam, more than a decade ago at Knob Creek sat down and showed me hands on how to assemble 1919 bolts , what’s important ,& helped me buy spare parts. Invaluable !!!!!

13. as a noob w first mg being a 1919…wow…just wow. Very cool. You will sponge up info like crazy. I know it seems overwhelming right now- all the acronyms ( RSP ,Izzy, etc ) , the different calibers , unique parts/terms, accessories ,& history. You’ll get there. Dive in. Enjoy !

·
12,670 Posts
Hey, curious if this is good ammo to buy and run though the 1919? Thanks

Turk had some neck splits. But of all that I’ve used or had, none of the copper bullet stuff had any issue at all. The silver tip stuff I just push the bullet a bit to see if the neck is split and cull those. The rest has been fine and dandy

·
Registered
59 Posts
My son came home for Thanksgiving so we had a range day today. The 1919 came out to play. I’ve had this gun quite a while but your post made me think back to when I first got it.

There was a learning curve and even taking it apart took some practice. I can’t imagine how many rounds I now have through it.

I’m smiling thinking about the fun you’re about to have with a new gun

61 - 72 of 72 Posts