1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Im new to reloading, Im still learning the ins and outs of what products to buy and who to avoid. I learned this week that Frankford Arsenal has pretty $hitty quality control. I bought a impact bullet puller on Saturday, brought it home and realized it was missing one of the collar inserts. Tonight I drove back to the store and exchanged it for another one. (counted the inserts this time.)....well......I get home and actually took them out and realized they included a mismatched number of the specific collars. ( supposed to be 3 of each size, I got 4 of size 1 and only 2 of size 2)

Ill eat the gas and time for one defective product...but TWO in a ROW, back to back? Cmon. I emailed them tonight and asked that they mail me the proper part. Its only a 20 dollar tool, but its costing me three times as much in gas and time to fix this.

Has anybody else had QC problems with Frankford?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Not going to specifically rag on Frankfort, but why the different size collets? My impact bullet puller has three pieces wrapped in a rubber band, does everything from 9mm to .45.

I built a home-made impact 50bmg bullet puller. 2x4 with a hole drilled, my lee shell-holder, and a rubber band ;)

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I just take out the cheap internal parts and use the shell holder for the appropriate cartridge. Works fine.

--fjruple

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
My impact bullet puller has three pieces wrapped in a rubber band, does everything from 9mm to .45.

;)
same here... & its only about $12.... ive beat it to death for several years.. no problems.

collet-bullet-puller.JPG

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
same here... & its only about $12.... ive beat it to death for several years.. no problems.

View attachment 14532
Gents, thats the EXACT model Ive purchased twice so far. The silver collets, thats what they keep messing up. The first one was missing collet peices, the second had too many of 1 and missing another. Im thinking the guy who was packing stuff that day must have been hungover. But Im not going to make a 3rd trip to the retailer, lets hope Frankfurt responds to my request (mail me the correct parts).

·
Registered
518 Posts
My puller looks identical to the one pictured, I've been using the same one for over 30 years. It has 3 "jaws" held together by a rubber o-ring, one size fits all. Never had an issue with it.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My puller looks identical to the one pictured, I've been using the same one for over 30 years. It has 3 "jaws" held together by a rubber o-ring, one size fits all. Never had an issue with it.
The new ones have 3 collar assemblies, each assembly consists of 3 'jaw' pieces. Each assembly is designed to accept caliber x through x and so on.
Sounds like they have made this needlessly complicated with this newer model.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
The new ones have 3 collar assemblies, each assembly consists of 3 'jaw' pieces. Each assembly is designed to accept caliber x through x and so on.
Sounds like they have made this needlessly complicated with this newer model.
Mine too is identical to the one shown. Had it over twenty years. It too, came with three collet assemblies. I've only been using the middle sized one this whole time for pretty much everything. I'm sure I could find the other two, but haven't had the need arise yet.

And yes, you darn well should receive what was paid for. Don't blame you a bit! :confused:

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine too is identical to the one shown. Had it over twenty years. It too, came with three collet assemblies. I've only been using the middle sized one this whole time for pretty much everything. I'm sure I could find the other two, but haven't had the need arise yet.

And yes, you darn well should receive what was paid for. Don't blame you a bit! :confused:
Its the middle sized collet thats been messed up in both packages. I just got home today and no return email from Frankfurter Armory. well, this isnt going in a direction I want.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They just emailed me, new parts are inbound. Lets hope they send the right ones.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have a Frankford, it isn't all that great... So my wife got me one of these.
http://www.brownells.com/reloading/...t-pullers/kinetic-bullet-puller-prod9929.aspx
100 times better, the universal collet does not come apart like the rubber band collets can when removing brass. Retired my Frankford and RCBS pullers for this one.
The collet on mine is held together with the rubber band/o-ring deal and occasionally it does fly apart when removing the brass. Fortunately I have never had to pull down a large quantity of ammo so it hasn't been an issue.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
The collet on mine is held together with the rubber band/o-ring deal and occasionally it does fly apart when removing the brass. Fortunately I have never had to pull down a large quantity of ammo so it hasn't been an issue.
The real trick to using those is to insert the base of the cartridge in the squared off side of the collet. Not the rounded.After the bullet is gone, continue pushing the now empty brass in the same direction. In other words, do not back it out, just shove it the rest of the way through. Works every time for me without fall apart issues. Done too many hundreds with it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts