1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here we are a couple hundred miles from home and down with the flu. I wanted to throw some questions about problems I'm facing with our RV out there to see if any of you might know what to do:D. I was never good with auto electronics, just dents lol.

1. RV is blowing turn signal fuses intermittently.
2. If left blinker is on, the right has weak illumination at same time. Same in reverse order. I tried pulling the harness in contact areas to try and blow a fuse to find grounding but no luck.

Maybe unrelated, the fuel gauge bounces intermittently between full and empty even if it has half a tank of fuel.

I have various tools with me including a power probe 2k, Mac tools automotive multi-meter but need pointers.

Would bad bulbs blow fuses? Multi-switch?:help:
Arm getting tired of hand signals

·
Registered
382 Posts
See if you have a bad bulb that has a broken filament that has fallen down and short out another path to ground.

Broken filaments can do crazy things.

·
Read Only
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, there were a couple side markers that had blown. Switched them out and blew another fuse. I used the turn signal bulb adapter from the power probe and inserted it into the left front blinker socket. Tool kept going back and forth when indicating from that socket. Figured I did not use it right so I packed it up. Next day I plugged it into left tail light. Chased it all the way back to the same socket so I disconnected the wires and bingo problems where solved and all is good. Just a faulty socket, it was full of corrosion and dirt. I'll change out all the front sockets :smash:

The beach was great at the "Big Mac"!

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Regarding the fuel gauge. If that wiring fiasco you fixed was not related, and it's still on the frizt, be aware that many fuel gauges will go to 'full' when disconnected at the tank. At least many used to 'back in the day'.
Might be a loose wire there, or between somewhere.

·
Read Only
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Regarding the fuel gauge. If that wiring fiasco you fixed was not related, and it's still on the frizt, be aware that many fuel gauges will go to 'full' when disconnected at the tank. At least many used to 'back in the day'.
Might be a loose wire there, or between somewhere.
You might be right, I noticed the loom hanging down with some chepo butt connectors near where the sender should be. I doubt Workhorse would do that so it probalbly was messed with. I'm going to look into it more. Sender whines a bit, isn't that a sign it's about to go? I haven't had a Chevy in a while, last one was a 1991 and the sender was noisy then crapped out one day.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
You might be right, I noticed the loom hanging down with some chepo butt connectors near where the sender should be. I doubt Workhorse would do that so it probalbly was messed with. I'm going to look into it more. Sender whines a bit, isn't that a sign it's about to go? I haven't had a Chevy in a while, last one was a 1991 and the sender was noisy then crapped out one day.
By sender, do you mean the in tank fuel pump? I don't have a bunch of experience with the newer pumps, but the ones I've inspected (Just a few.)while still in the tank were pretty near silent. Barely an audible hum if that.
Aftermarket inline pumps tend to be very audible. You can actually feel some thumping at the other end of the vehicle when new. Those are 'pusher' type pumps.Those must be mounted as close to the tank as possible, and should be well shielded from the exhaust. My old work van killed four of them.

·
Read Only
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, sending unit. Tank is 60 gallon and my wimpy socket set can't handle the manly nuts this thing has holding it up.:eek: I'm going in thru the floor wish me luck!

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Umm, floors in those can be harder to fix than the fuel pump.:eek:
Good luck either way!!;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts