1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 30-06 barrel from Sarco, $79 and in stock. It cleaned up well and looks like a great $79 barrel. However, I can find no markings on it to confirm the caliber. It’s definitely a 1919 barrel. Is there any way I can confirm that it’s 30-06?

TIA for any helpful advice.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Put a 30-06 round in the chamber.....A 308 round will fit in a 3006 but you will know right away that's it not right...It will be vary tight

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Yea, just stick a case in it. I keep a bag of different ammo by my barrel rack to check the barrels - you can see them laying on the shelf.... Stuff like Browning barrels and Vickers barrels come in a lot of different calibers.

·
Registered
983 Posts
MG, that is a great idea for barrel storage! Had not thought about keeping it that simple. Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
That's a good sign of a 30-06 barrel ....But , I have 8mm barrels with 30-06 notches ...So I chamber check.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Inserted 308 and it got real tight about 1/4" from the base. The 30-06 started getting tight about 1/8" from base of cartridge. Still cleaning the barrel so I'm sure there is still some grime but confident with all the response that it isn't 308.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Yea , sounds like you have a little gunk in it...30-06 should drop right in and be pulled out with fingertips.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Worked on cleaning the chamber. 30-06 shell drops right in and easy to remove. 308 doesn’t go all way in. I’ve learned a lot just from this post. Thank you for the quick and helpful suggestions and knowledge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts