1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Allied 1919A4 in the usual 7.62 NATO. I am going to convert it to 30-06 shortly (Who would have figured the ammo prices would have swapped back then). Anyway these guns don't have a front cartridge stop pin in the RSP. There is what appears to be a center punch mark on the outside of the RSP about where the pin should be. Does anyone have a suggestion as how to precisely locate this pin or is it that critical? I don't yet have a pin in my hand to check against the front 308 cart guide that slips down over that pin. Also, I guess that pin has to be "riveted" in place. Do I need any special tools to do this? I do have access to a drill press and if needed a 3 axis mill. I have never riveted anything before however. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. To the the INDY build guys, are there going to be any builds or workshops in the near future?

Thanks,
Mike

· Registered
1,021 Posts
Drill it get a cartridge stop from KMP learn to rivet it... done. That mark is the right location, it is a pre marked plate. I did the same thing mine works great. I used a drill bit I got from MSG. Drilled it on a drill press and pownded the rivet... B2B

· Registered
435 Posts
http://www.1919a4.com/tutorials/tutorial6.php

The pics are just for reference-But the method I used was to put some washers or wadded up paper in the hole of the front 308 spacer so the 06 cart. stop barely sticks out, Put some paint on the end of the stop and slide it in to place. The paint will mark where you have to drill. The other method is the same but you use a cut down transfer punch, slide into position and love tap it with a hammer to mark for the drill bit.

· Mouse Machine Works
1,681 Posts
I have an Allied 1919A4 in the usual 7.62 NATO. I am going to convert it to 30-06 shortly (Who would have figured the ammo prices would have swapped back then). Anyway these guns don't have a front cartridge stop pin in the RSP. There is what appears to be a center punch mark on the outside of the RSP about where the pin should be. Does anyone have a suggestion as how to precisely locate this pin or is it that critical? I don't yet have a pin in my hand to check against the front 308 cart guide that slips down over that pin. Also, I guess that pin has to be "riveted" in place. Do I need any special tools to do this? I do have access to a drill press and if needed a 3 axis mill. I have never riveted anything before however. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. To the the INDY build guys, are there going to be any builds or workshops in the near future?

Thanks,
Mike
If you rivet it in place (it's one big rivet) you are going to have to refinish the gun. You have to grind the rivet down and feather it in to match the surrounding plate. That's the original way it was installed.
Or, you can drill a small hole in the sideplate, tap the stop and use a button head screw and locktite it in place. I've seen this done a number of times and it works fine. No peening rivets and no refinishing.
Quick and easy.

· Registered
60 Posts
Just wanted to throw a <possibly stupid> idea out there....

The cart. stop has a smaller stepped down diameter where it goes into the side plate. I wonder if you could thread this diameter on the stop, then drill and tap the side plate. The stop could then be parkerized, and threaded into place, with some Loc-Tite.

A lot of extra work, but with the stop threaded in and flush with the outside of the plate it would look like more like a rivet. If a person was careful they wouldn't need to repark the sideplate, just the stop.

· Registered
2,678 Posts
If you are converting to 30-06 you don't want to use the .308 cartridge stop (except maybe for alignmnet). The 30-06 gun also uses a "stop short round" that slides over the round stop. This was introduced to provide better ejection of links and I believe was standard on the A6 BMG. It appears there are a couple of ways this is held in, Many A4 owners don't bother with it. Some kits come with it and some don't.

I don't see why you couldn't thread the hole and the shaft of the stop. You may still want to peen the end of the shaft. I also used this method on the accelerator stop as I didn't have access to a welder.

· PhD in Over-Engineering
8,768 Posts
For what it's worth, here is one way to mark the hole from inside, though you probably will have to drill from the outside unless you have a long drill.

The second picture shows you my tool configuration for bucking the stop. You can use removable, hardened washers as a spacer, rather than the permanent one in my dedicated tool here. The key is to have the left side of the 308 spacer protruding enough from the feed bracket that it can serve as support while pounding the rivet on the RSP. If careful, you can then finish the rivet head almost flush and cold blue it. Use masking tape or the like to protect the finish as you file or grind the head down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.