1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
that does seem a little high - it has been for sale for a long time. I have a nice original one That I would sell for half that...... I will never ( I know- never say never) have a 1915 Colt gun again. Or a MG cart for it. Gun Machine gun Grass Mortar Air gun

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that does seem a little high - it has been for sale for a long time. I have a nice original one That I would sell for half that...... I will never ( I know- never say never) have a 1915 Colt gun again. Or a MG cart for it. View attachment 15338
I agree that I would sell for half of that also if that's what they would go for. I was asking because I came across several that I am going to be selling and I want to put a realistic number on them.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I agree that I would sell for half of that also if that's what they would go for. I was asking because I came across several that I am going to be selling and I want to put a realistic number on them.

I'd suggest that when you get the ?30-06 Vickers barrels that you carefully check to see that the bores look straight. Sarco has had a quantity for many years that had the front 6" or so bent at a thirty degree angle to demil them. Some of these have been straightened and are making their way onto the market and they look good from the outside but the effect of the straightening can be seen on the inside. Also, if they are a small bit off true axis, they will not function correctly in the Vickers.
Just to be on the safe side.......

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd suggest that when you get the ?30-06 Vickers barrels that you carefully check to see that the bores look straight. Sarco has had a quantity for many years that had the front 6" or so bent at a thirty degree angle to demil them. Some of these have been straightened and are making their way onto the market and they look good from the outside but the effect of the straightening can be seen on the inside. Also, if they are a small bit off true axis, they will not function correctly in the Vickers.
I have them in hand now, they were the Vickers barrels that I had posted here. I only looked them over again because I was noticing that the 303 barrels had British marks on them and these didn't. I looked them over and they are straight both on the outside and inside, these are some of the barrels that I bought out of a large private collection

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
30/06 Vickers barrels for sale...?

Now you have my attention...LOL. The original .303 Vickers barrels are currently priced from $65-$200 and I have seen many from $85-$125....bought one. Since the Vickers was the first MG issued to US troops...both Army and Marines in Jun-Jul 1917...I'm going to display a Vickers with my carts. However,...the Colt-Vickers was produced in 30/06 to make logistics easier and standardize the ammo. These 30/06 guns were used until the 1917 Browning's were allowed to be used 17 Sept 1918. The Vickers were still in the US inventory at the end of the war and remained so until all units were issued the Browning's....about 1924 (?). I'd like to get a 30/06 Vickers put together...also for display with my carts. LMK when the barrels are available....I'm interested in getting a few.

And,.....yes....it's Ohio Ord that has the one for sale on GB. $1,500.00 is just a bit expensive for me,too.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Now you have my attention...LOL. The original .303 Vickers barrels are currently priced from $65-$200 and I have seen many from $85-$125....bought one. Since the Vickers was the first MG issued to US troops...both Army and Marines in Jun-Jul 1917...I'm going to display a Vickers with my carts. However,...the Colt-Vickers was produced in 30/06 to make logistics easier and standardize the ammo. These 30/06 guns were used until the 1917 Browning's were allowed to be used 17 Sept 1918. The Vickers were still in the US inventory at the end of the war and remained so until all units were issued the Browning's....about 1924 (?). I'd like to get a 30/06 Vickers put together...also for display with my carts. LMK when the barrels are available....I'm interested in getting a few.

And,.....yes....it's Ohio Ord that has the one for sale on GB. $1,500.00 is just a bit expensive for me,too.
If you are ONLY going to display them, why not buy the bent ones from Sarco at $24.95 each. You could have them straighten inexpensively and they would be fine for display. Nice straight original Colt Vickers 30-06 barrels may not go for $1,500 but they will still be darn expensive. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Just sent you a PM

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I have six (6) 30-06 Vickers barrels. Two are original and were never bent, but four were previously bent. I had them straightened at a motorcycle repair shop with the use of pin gauges. All six barrels perform perfectly. The two that were not previously bent came from eBay with their chambers plugged by brazing. The braze was removed and both worked fine from day one. All six barrels show no wear using a USGI bore gauge.

I figure I'm set for the rest of my life for 30-06 Vickers barrels.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
My transferable Vickers should be in this week, it's set up for both 303 and 54r, should would be nice to set it up in 30-06 though. Wouldn't a person still need the feed block and lock for 30-06 to get it to work though?
Of course you will need a barrel and a muzzle cup. A British muzzle cup will not thread on to a US barrel. An 8mm lock, or just the extractor, works fine. The real challenge to overcome is the feed block. Maybe an 8mm one can be modified, but then again, maybe not. I have no clue. If/when you find a US 30-06 feed block you will see that belted 30-06 ammo using British/Commonwealth cloth belts will not feed. The belts are too thick and vertically jam in the feed slot. I have a few original 30-06 links and they work just fine. The only currently available belts that do work are the aluminum Turkish Maxim belts that IMA has. IMA also has some steel belts, but I've never tried one. The aluminum belts work equally well feeding 8mm ammo into my MG08 and 30-06 into my Vickers. They are simple to hand load and easy to work with. Should a link gets damaged, it's a simple task to remove that link and keep the belt functional. Plus, these belts are reasonably priced. You cannot beat that.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
>I had them straightened at a motorcycle repair shop with the use of pin gauges.<

Can your local motorcycle shop straighten some more of them? I have some that need it.
In the last couple years I've seen four or five of these barrels offered that were straightened and they were not true which was evident by just looking down the bore against a bright light.
While I have enough .30-06 Vickers barrels, I would like to fix the bent ones for resale.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
>I had them straightened at a motorcycle repair shop with the use of pin gauges.<
Can your local motorcycle shop straighten some more of them? I have some that need it.
In the last couple years I've seen four or five of these barrels offered that were straightened and they were not true which was evident by just looking down the bore against a bright light.
While I have enough .30-06 Vickers barrels, I would like to fix the bent ones for resale.
Hi Bob. The shop I used was run by a good friend of Dave Rosenfield. They are classic motorcycle gearhead and FFL manufacturer buddies. Unfortunately, a couple years ago we had one of those Texas spring time flash floods and his complete operation was washed away. Also washed away were a bunch of customers' BSA, Harley, and Vincent motorcycles. He did not have insurance enough to cover the customers' bikes and was sued into bankruptcy.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Of course you will need a barrel and a muzzle cup. A British muzzle cup will not thread on to a US barrel. An 8mm lock, or just the extractor, works fine. The real challenge to overcome is the feed block. Maybe an 8mm one can be modified, but then again, maybe not. I have no clue. If/when you find a US 30-06 feed block you will see that belted 30-06 ammo using British/Commonwealth cloth belts will not feed. The belts are too thick and vertically jam in the feed slot. I have a few original 30-06 links and they work just fine. The only currently available belts that do work are the aluminum Turkish Maxim belts that IMA has. IMA also has some steel belts, but I've never tried one. The aluminum belts work equally well feeding 8mm ammo into my MG08 and 30-06 into my Vickers. They are simple to hand load and easy to work with. Should a link gets damaged, it's a simple task to remove that link and keep the belt functional. Plus, these belts are reasonably priced. You cannot beat that.
Maybe Bob will chime back in on this, but I seem to remember shooting mine with an 8mm feed block in 30-06 ? It has literally been 25 years so memory on this one is a little fuzzy. I do shoot the 303 Vickers with the 8mm set up.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
...now have a few...

Just got some Vickers 30/06 bbls. in. These were not bent or damaged in any way. Needed a bit of interior cleaning,but both muzzel erosion and throat erosion were minimal on all of 'em. Will be looking for an 8MM lock and feed block. Talked to a member who had a .303 feed block machined to accept the 30/06 and it worked OK. Hoping to have the Vickers up-and-running in both .303 and 30/06 for the military show season and for display with my 1917 Machine Gun Carts. Might want to trade a bbl ...or two...for belts,8MM lock and feed block....?

·
Registered
599 Posts
I was looking at my 8mm feedblocks the other day and comparing how a 30-06 would fit. I think they'd run fine as is. Running 30-06 in a 303 feedblock might be tough. Without the rim on the cartridge there's nothing to keep the round to the rear of the feedblock so the extractor can grab it. In 8mm there's a spring on the front side that pushes the round to the rear. I can get you pics if you'd like.

I would be interested in a barrel, depending on the price. Is the barrel threaded with the standard thread or the stepped thread? They use a different cup.
Material property

1 - 18 of 18 Posts