1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been answered many times, but I didn't readily find the answer by searching around.

What exactly is the difference between the .30 USGI bolt and the 7.62 marked Izzy bolt?

Can you shoot .308 out of a .30 USGI bolt or do you have to use a 7.62 bolt?

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
The feed slot channel was opened up to allow the thicker base of7.62 round to feed. No you need an izzy bolt to run 7.62. You can run .30 cal and 8mm mauservusing a gi bolt, for an izzy you can run all three calibers but FA shooters recommend using GI for .30 and 8mm mauser.

Keep in mind 7.62 and .308 are 2 different animals with this gun. .308 will not run reliably without some tinkering

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
7.62 X 51 NATO has a thicker rim so the Izzy bolt Tee slot has been opened up to accommodate it also allowing you to shoot 30 06 ,7.62 X 51 NATO and 8 mm by simply changing barrels and guides . With a little more work by Barrelxchange (member ) you can also shoot 7.62 X 54R after his modifications to the top cover ,bolt , barrel extension , Extractor ,front guide and re chambered Izzy 7.62 barrel . You will need a spare bolt ,extractor and barrel extension IIRC the modified top cover is still usable for all the other calibers ,i think :confused: .

GI bolt only handles 30 06 and 8 mm .

GSG beat me to the post :tongue:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts