1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
11,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there will be a few pictures here so it will take a couple posts to get them all up. but here is the back story:

a couple weeks ago my brother's coworker is out at the range firing his enfield with some paki 303 that he has had for a good 10 years. said that he has has a few hang fires but more just duds out of the lot if the rounds were bad at all. he said that he waited a good 10-15 seconds after the click, goes to open the bollt and well you can now see what happened next.

·
11,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

this could have been way way worse.

the owner of the thumb does not want his name used or mentioned so i will not.

but after some convincing he agreed to let me post these images here.

just like in the case of the accidental discharge thread... we all know **** happens.

this ammo scares the crap out of me. i was shooting a few rounds out of a friends gun last year. there were 10-20 second hangfires all through the pack. i love me some crappy ammo but not like this.

rory

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Thanks for posting. Was shooting some Paki .303 ammo through a friend's BREN a while back. He recorded it w/Paki and Winchester; the gun sounded like chitty-chitty-bang-bang w/the Paki.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Pull it down Rory. Re-use the bullets, scrap the brass, and fertilize your yard with the powder.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Cheap ammo or You get what you pay for

Dortmunder Beer used to advertise "Life is too short to drink cheap beer".

Life is really to short to use crappy cheap ammo.

This time it was "only" a thumb, next time........

·
Watercooled Addict
2,108 Posts
That 303 is cordite. I promise the propellant is good, it is the primers that are crap. I have seen hangfires with british made 303 as well. Must be something with their primer spec. Actually the bullet in the pic looks like some 1944 british I have. I have never seen paki with the nickel bullet, but I am sure it is possible.

·
11,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i don't know the guy... and the origin could have gotten flubbed in translation.

i don't own any of this stuff. i've gotten rid of most of my really crappy ammo. i now only have moderately crappy ammo mixed in with good stuff.

moderately crappy:
bulgarian 7.62
x25 and 54r

turk 8mm

ummm that may be all of the crappy stuff that i have?

r

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Things Im writing down for the upcoming Bren build:

1) Dont shoot my crappy Paki ammo thru it......last time I shot my Paki was about 5 years ago and every 7th or so was a half second hangfire. Nothing like that.....

Did anybody get any lot dates or case markings?

·
11,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no but i will ask my other friend that has some really bad stuff what he has on his.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Rory,

OUCH! Unlocked bolt sliced the thumb? Looks like the thumb can be saved, going to hurt like hell the rest of his life. Pass the word fellas, those 20-30 second hangfire counts, need to go 1-2 minutes.

I learned a very important lesson in the late 70's, several consecutive dud .22s placed in the ground at base of tree, ONE went off not 1 minute after poking it in the ground, I nearly sh*t myself! :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know, "Seems odd that it was his left thumb that was damaged - did the blast somehow channel through the forend and catch the thumb that way?!"

·
11,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i really have no idea. i will call and ask later today.

he could be a lefty? i know my brother somehow figures out a way to shoot bolt guns left handed. he just looks all awkward while shooting.

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Rory. I bought a bunch of that stuff for my SMLEs. Hadn't shot it yet, I've been working my way through the WWII British stuff first.

MSG

·
Mouse Machine Works
1,992 Posts
Wow hope everything turns out Ok for him.
We all learned a very valuable lesson here, 10 to 15 seconds is not enough time to wait for a possible hangfire. I've seen this happen before with POF, it you get a click hold on for a while, just in case.
Best wishes to your friend.

·
11,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i will ask all the questions later. i do not know him and all is through my brother.

my guess is he is standing at a bench. sets it down and starts to open it with his left hand when it goes off. pure speculation though.

r

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for the post, has anyone had any other mishaps with the Queen’s ammo? Like the Aussie 308, or is this localized to the older 303?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts