1919 A4 Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
French 303 did this to me in '80s

I used to work on a shop that was established way before '68 so we had all sorts of old odd stuff. I bought a bunch of french mfg 303(may still have some, kinda sorta collect cartridges) It was dated in the '50s I think, and without fail, every round would hang like a flintlock, click bang. Never a dud in around 1k rounds, but still... I dont open the bolt for at least a minute, usually shooting multiple guns so that no problem. never had one go off after ~1 minute, but I open them quick when i decide to none the less. An interesting aside, was shooting an FN-49 Egyptian 8mm, with that two piece firing pin and sure enough it broke and bolt only partially closed when went off, peppered my face and blew my hat off, felt like got hit w/ a board. Was ok, looked sunburned, cant believe rifle didnt blow up. Replaced firing pins/springs, tied her to a car tire and fired a mag through it and all ok, though I havent shot it for 10 years, shot a few hundred after tire test and ran like a clock. Those FN-49s are known for this so be carefull. I cant remember, I may have put in a one piece firing pin in it, been so long. I have seen dozens of guns destroyed by muzzle obstructions, most shotguns used by duck hunters. be careful. people dont shoot my guns w/o eye protection.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts

·
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
i kinda wish i didn't create an account to see that.

holy wow. be careful with your tools guys. ouch.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Good Lord that is brutal. Think of the guy that had to shut it down and then see if there was anything he could do, i'll bet there is a pile of vomit righ next to the emrg. shut off

Further eval. of the pic. i come to a couple conclusions....
He was wearing 3 tops t-shirt,long*sleeve work shirt,and long* sleeve sweater.
his head was ground up in the chuck or crushed in the work piece by his own clothing

Saftey lesson: No long sleeves or gloves in a machine shop

·
Registered
436 Posts
I got my machinist certificate but never worked for $ in a shop.

Know enough to respect the equipment and the sheer power of the spinning wheel.

Considering the previous two reviews I will take a pass on viewing that one.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I got my machinist certificate but never worked for $ in a shop.

Know enough to respect the equipment and the sheer power of the spinning wheel.

Considering the previous two reviews I will take a pass on viewing that one.
ground beef comes to mind.... from the chest up... prob a good idea to skip...

Richard

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
On my last cruise a guy pulled the chocks on a C-2 and turned left instead of right, turned out about the same. Clean-up was easier - deck crew just broke out a fire hose.

MSG

41 - 53 of 53 Posts