1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally received my South African Bren 308 barrel from numrich To convert my Bren 303 mark ll to 308. Barrel looks new. Installed 8mm extractor in bolt. Used zb39 mag loaded to 38 rounds
Fired 400 rounds with no stoppages.
Easy cheap conversion for converting to 308

·
Registered
182 Posts
I take it that should be 28 rounds?

The ZB30 mag will only fit a JI made 7.92mm Mk1 Bren (that is the nomenclature but it’s a Mk2 body) such as the CH, 0T? Or ?-? Serialised guns.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the barrels! Just ordered one.Think I've already got the right mags
BP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take it that should be 28 rounds?

The ZB30 mag will only fit a JI made 7.92mm Mk1 Bren (that is the nomenclature but it’s a Mk2 body) such as the CH, 0T? Or ?-? Serialised guns.
My fat fingers. Should have been 28 rounds

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Me too. Here’s a video of the test fire. I also had tried a zb-30 mag but it wouldn’t fit in my magwell.

I also tried the zb30 mag and found it was too short to latch in mag well. I extended the latch area. it now latches into the mag well an functions properly. The problem with the mag is it only holds 20 rounds and the mags are selling for $100

·
Registered
26 Posts
The zb30 mag won’t fit in my mag well. It has the known issue of not being able to fit into the rear locking area. I thought about removing receiver metal to allow them to rotate in but will just use zb39 mags instead

·
Registered
445 Posts
WOW - very interesting. I have a cautionary tale and concern. I have a MKII Bren as well, and I had it specifically built by a major builder in Russian 54r. It is VERY sensitive to head spacing and different barrels completely change the head spacing and IT BLOWS UP! I have one barrel that will work with the brass Yugo ammo but will blow up with Russian steel case and vice versa. I have had mags go flying out the top destroyed and just last week a gun/barrel combination that had been working well for YEARS suddenly blew up and took the firing pin and bolt carrier with it! Contacting the builder for more parts he now says he no longer builds them in 54r. (wonder why)
So did you just get lucky with your barrel? Did you have some way to check the head spacing? Tell us more please.

·
Registered
445 Posts
SO I picked up a barrel, and the extractors are readily available, but does anyone have a line on a .308 Bren head space gauge?

·
Registered
182 Posts
The problem with many of the Bren in the US is that as rewelds, the body dimensions can often be out and so you get different results from different guns with different combinations.
For example I have an original .303 Bren that you can’t fit a ZB39 or a ZB30 mag to and I have an original ZB39 that you can’t fit a .303 Bren mag too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts