1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this right rear cartridge stop from BMG Parts, but it doesn't look like the pictures that I have seen of the stop. This is my first build and I'm only going off of pictures that I have seen on the browningmgs.com site. It's definitely different, but will it work? Any help is appreciated!

This is what I purchased:
stop4_zpstrruhahy.jpg stop3_zps5j9wojri.jpg stop2_zpsskaaucli.jpg stop1_zpszyt84j8f.jpg

Link to the stop picture on browningmgs.com site:
http://www.browningmgs.com/1919_Parts/CartridgeStops.htm

Thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Looks like the correct part - I dont have a handy photo of one installed - I am sure some one can cme up with one......

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
That is the correct 7.62 (308) stop you also need the spacers which are held on by the belt holding pawl pin.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, but if it's the right part, why does it look different than the one pictured on the browningmgs site? Is this an updated version?

Can you direct me to a picture of the spacers you are talking about?

Thanks!

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Thanks for the replies, but if it's the right part, why does it look different than the one pictured on the browningmgs site? Is this an updated version?

Can you direct me to a picture of the spacers you are talking about?

Thanks!

Rob
The spacers are shown on the linked page in your first post in the same picture that the rear cartridge stop is shown. While the obsessive-compulsive among us (I being one) have had some success tracking the development of USGI parts we are pretty much in the dark about what the Izzys were doing.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
The first Israeli 7.62 stops were simply cut down USGI ones. I've seen a number of those, and then of course they eventually made their own version. The one BMG Parts supplied should work just fine. The angled front profile of the Izzy stop does not serve any specific purpose that I know of. The one you have looks very much like the Colt ones for the Argentine round which, by the way, is a shorter round similar to 308 as I recall, when compared to 30-06. I see no reason why it won't work fine. The only thing this does is stop the casing at the center of the feedway, so it's the edge of the projection there that is the functional part.

The reason these are shorter than the USGI one is that shorter cartridges like the 7.62 NATO seat the links further back in the feedway than the 30-06 or 8mm. The links would jam on the stop rather than eject cleanly if the rounds are fully seated. This is something MG34_Dan and I have talked about in connection with running 7.62 with all USGI feedway parts. It's doable but the rounds must barely be seated in the links enough to hold, or the links will jam against the stop in the feedway. The short stop eliminates this issue.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lucky, thanks for the easy to understand explanation!!! Makes sense now that I look at it from a functional perspective, which to be quite honest, I didn't know until you explained it. A quick google search to find a few pictures of the stop installed and I had my "aha" moment :lol:.

Thanks again!

Rob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts